British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-19, 12:21 AM

Default Is there a place for copies?

I know, the bin, some will say and quite rightly too.
But, if a long sought after badge is unobtainable, or so rare that a huge price is being asked, is a reproduction, being sold as such, an acceptable gap filler?
And if so, should the maker have the word, "Reproduction" inscribed on the reverse?

I once had a 3rd reinforcements badge made by a friend who was a manufacturing jeweler.
I had to guess the size and the finished job was actually engraved rather than being cast and he fitted a pin broach back. The finished item is clearly a modern interpretation of the original so no funny stuff going on there.
Fortunately, more authentic appearing reprodutions are currently available from legitimate sellers at $25 a pop and I have two of those to include with two of my Great Uncles shadow box displays.

Any thoughts on reproductions in general?

Bruce.
Old 23-12-19, 04:06 AM

Fake = fake.
Old 23-12-19, 06:17 AM

Yes there is, as long as you know which ones they are. Sadly it all goes wrong when your collection changes hands.
Old 23-12-19, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Yes there is, as long as you know which ones they are. Sadly it all goes wrong when your collection changes hands.
Agreed, unbelievably, there are people who have fewer scruples than most of the members here and would seek to pass off as real. (once ‘aged’ of course).
Old 23-12-19, 08:33 PM

Non that I can see other than film props and al should be marked as Copy or FAKE

Regards

Stephen
Old 23-12-19, 09:04 PM

Obviously id say yes. However some folk get right nasty on here just for suggesting it.
I.e I am doing an RM collection now. Who has £1.300 for a RM Labour corps apart from Lord Ashcroft ? Also in some regiments squadies have resrikes in their berets, but thats ok if its PRI purchased ?
Old 23-12-19, 09:57 PM

I have a number of items in my collection I do not like, such as restrikes, reproductions, fashion buttons posing as uniform buttons and one "gapfiller".

Original buttons are hen's teeth and sit at the top of the wish lists of many a hunt button collector. The gapfillers were not made to deceive, but after that generation of wealthy collectors passed on they were snapped up by the next generation as originals. I knew one of these old men and he had shown them. I recognised it after it had arrived.
I got an e-bay refund on the gapfiller and the seller never sent the payment to have it returned.
Yes, there is a place for fakes in a collection. Keep them, document them and learn to avoid them. Try not to buy them. Do not sell them on as originals. Inform and educate your fellow collectors.
Old 23-12-19, 11:15 PM

Default Knowledge is power and no burden to carry.

It would seem so far that reproductions, while certainly not something to go after, do have a place, albeit a limited one.
In the heady rush of acquisition some times even the clearest heads can fumble good sense in an emotionally charged situation.

Fakes, reproductions generally have the potential to be dangerous territory to negotiate and, circumspection is needed: diligence and honesty are nessesary too. Perhaps a bit like managing a small explosive charge in your front yard.
Of course mitigating any unintentional flow on effects when it comes to disposal by a collectors estate, need to be put into place pre-mortem.
Perhaps, the repro could be marked as such in some way by the collector, or if it can be, binned when the time is right.

Merry Christmas everybody and a new year of happy and watchful collecting.
Bruce.