British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-15, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Hi Keith

Maj Thomas was the manager of Foy & Gibsons, a department store (like Myer) that was located on the corner of Swanston St and Bourke St, now the Bourke St mall. His mess dress has ordnance badges. l doubt that he was in anything to do with engineers as he would struggle to use a screw driver ! His full name is Arthur John Thomas and known as John. I know that he was on the reserve officers list for many years.

Regards

Phil.
The Ordnance Corps , RAAOC, would have had an engineering branch which later became RAEME and an officer would not necessarily need engineering skills.
Old 04-11-15, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
The Ordnance Corps , RAAOC, would have had an engineering branch which later became RAEME and an officer would not necessarily need engineering skills.
The bloke I first found was the wrong one. We did manage to establish the correct fellow from later Army Lists, he was definitely AAOC.
Keith
Old 04-11-15, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
Hi Jerry & Chaps
As promised this example is made by F J ELLIOTT AN D CO LTD FROM ATHERSTONE AND IS 1959 DATED its in quite nice condition cheers steve
Thanks for sharing this as you promised Steve, great to see one with such a late date.

Jerry
Old 11-11-15, 10:17 AM

Some pics from Phil of his Dads and his neighbours slouch hats, much appreciated to see them.

Interestingly his Dads example is 44 dated with the wartime N121 makers marks but has a fabric trim and green grommets which is unusual to see for wartime examples though I have seen a few late war examples with the green grommets, but it is very unusual to see a 44 dated example with the cloth trim, that usually stops by 42 and does not reappear until some time post war. Some 42 dated examples are seen which have poppers and cloth trim, but these transitional types are not usually seen dated so late and with the green grommets which are late or post war from what I understand of them It just shows that the textbook does not always apply.

The other example is more typical text book of examples produced from late 41 until wars end with red/brown grommets, popper fitting and no cloth trim, though the pug might be post war as it looks to be of better quality than the "economy" versions worn with this type of slouch hat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sgt Ron Garland, New Guinea Air Warning Wireless.jpg (62.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Major A John Thomas Ordnance.jpg (50.2 KB, 29 views)

Jerry
Old 23-08-20, 04:50 PM

Looking up on how my Taid’s slouch hat would have looked like. I found this photo online. I know the 8th Medium Regiment were attached directly as IV Corps artillery so as is this one. It has the RA red and blue diamond cloth badge on the up turned part as well as the rampaging black elephant on a red background cloth badge of the IV Corps. I also have a blurry photo when he came home and I’m sure the cap badge at the front is the Royal Artillery one.

My question is, would his day to day slouch hat look like this one I found online and the other one used for ceremony/special occasions? Thanks in advance to any help.
Old 24-08-20, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Some information on circa WWII Australian slouch hats. I assume some others can add more information or correct any mistakes I have made.

Sometime circa 1941/42 the cloth trim is removed and press stud/poppers marked Carr Aust are introduced to hold up the brim trim. I have 42 and 43 dated examples of this type.
I believe 1941 was the year the press stud was introduced into the Australian army.
Old 24-08-20, 08:29 AM

There appears to have been a lot of leeway involved in what was worn on a slouch hat and it differed depending on where you were. What was worn in the jungles of Burma was very different from what was worn on leave in Calcutta.

The rule of thumb is generally that more badges were worn on the slouch hat at the regimental depot in India than on the march in Burma, where just a regimental or divisional patch would be enough information for those that needed to know your formation.

Tags
souch hat