British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-21, 07:48 PM

Default Help Please QAIMNS & TANS

I have these noted as collar badges. I have seen photos with a small hat badge but not physically seem one. Was there a cap badge for either / both? If so what were the dimensions?

Thanks Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0470.jpg (110.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0469.jpg (112.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-04-21, 09:53 PM

I believe that the cap badges were the same size as the collar badges.
jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-04-21, 10:10 PM

Thanks Jerry.

Chris
Old 09-04-21, 10:27 PM

Does anyone know if they wore metal shoulder titles?

Chris
Old 10-04-21, 02:32 AM

Chris,
I think these were designed as collar badges but possibly used later in the war as beret badges, perhaps unofficially. A photo in Women in Uniform by D Collett Wadge (1946), shows QAIMNS nurses wearing battledress and ill-fitting berets on which are small, indistinct, badges - possibly collars.

Standing Orders for the TANS, dated 1937, gives the following info on TANS badges:
All Ranks - Badges and plated 'T's to be worn on the collars of jacket and overcoat and on the scarlet stand collar of principal matrons.
On shoulder cape, plated 'T's and badges to be worn on the facing cornerways.
Regulation uniform consisted of a hat, grey velour in winter and grey felt in summer, with regulation hat ribbon.
In hot climates, white helmets with pugaree and sufficient regulation ribbon
to form a flash at the side were worn. White felt hats with white ribbon band and regulation ribbon, again, enough to form a flash at the side were worn.
This ribbon flash appears to be worn on the right hand side.
Coloured illustrations of the hats with ribbons are shown in Regimental Badges and Service Caps (1941), on page 25.
A nursing sister's cap of muslin or organdie with the badge embroidered in scarlet on one corner (possibly the one at the back of the head/neck), was also worn.
The only other 'badge' (as it is known) is the medal (worn by TANS, QAIMNS
and QAIMNSR) seen on the tippet or shoulder cape.
Nowhere in the SOs is a 'cap badge' mentioned, and I suspect that TANS, QAIMNS and QAIMNSR SOs were probably very similar, the 'cap badge' being the ribbon. It is, of course, possible that badges were produced later in the war, specifically for the beret, though I'm inclined to believe this may have been uneconomical due to the small numbers required as ward uniforms, generally, would have been worn around hospitals and outdoor uniforms were already in use.
George

Last edited by conservator; 10-04-21 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-04-21, 02:50 AM

Chris it is my understanding that the QA's, QA(R)'s and the TA's all wore a cap badge exactly like the collar. In all of my searches I have never found anything larger being worn.

Re the QA(R) collar, there are two types. One, like you have, has a slight lip/outline around the R, and then there was a version that had a rounded edge to the R. Both are the same size. I can share a picture of mine if you'd like.

Terry
Old 10-04-21, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
Does anyone know if they wore metal shoulder titles?

Chris
Hello Chris, There is no mention of shoulder titles in Westlake and I have not seen any as I would have these in my Shoulder title collection.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 10-04-21, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
I have these noted as collar badges. I have seen photos with a small hat badge but not physically seem one. Was there a cap badge for either / both? If so what were the dimensions?

Thanks Chris
Hi Chris,
Can confirm these were originally collars, but there was a change in cap (ATS style) in grey to match the grey Norfolk uniform. A collar badge was worn on the this cap instead of the ribbon worn on the previous cap. This cap was introduced in 1943.

see link here for pictures https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...=QAIMNS&page=2

The grey Norfolk style uniform was replaced with a khaki tunic in Jan 1944 with khaki ATS style cap. Both cap and collars badges worn. Cap badge been same as collars. With battledress a beret was worn with a collar badge.

Shoulder titles in cloth were worn with battledress. I believe there were metal shoulder titles for QAIMNS and QAIMNSR, but not sure about TANS. These would have been worn with tropical dress in Africa, Middle East and India. I have a cast QAIMNSR title in my collection (55mm x 11mm) with two copper wire lugs typically seen on Egyptian made badges.

Steven
Old 10-04-21, 10:59 AM

Thanks Steven