British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-13, 08:16 PM

Default SAAF Band badge

Hi guys

After a visit to some distant family members whom we have not seen for about 30 odd years, I asked them about family military history (always do, as I am trying to do a family military tree!)

I was very surprised to hear that a great uncle of mine Leonard Hume, had played saxophone in the SAAF band/dance band during the late 1940's and 1950's. After the normal query "Do you have any medals, badges photoalbums etc they dug around and produced this badge, never seen a Chrome SAAF before and his daughter said they used to have his cap as well, but after it became "moth eaten" they removed the badge (in the process, breaking off the clasp at the rear) and threw it away. Sadly they had no pictures of him in uniform.

All I can think is that the band to look smart and stand out at functions such as balls etc had their badges chromed.

Well here it is albeit slightly damaged, now in my possesion as they had no need for it

It just goes to show we never stop learning new things in this hobby of ours.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF Chrome Band badge 1.jpg (43.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF Chrome Band Badge 2.jpg (41.8 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 06-01-13 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Adding in more info
Old 07-01-13, 12:05 AM

Default Family history . . !

Brian,

I know how you feel, about thirty years ago, my Father took his Mother to her sister-in laws funeral, her Brother having died several years previous, after they all went back to the house for tea, the Daughter said "Guess what we found under Mum's bed?"

Only Dad's old uniform, all wrapped up in a cardboard box, tied with string . . !

The former CQMS enquired as to it's whereabouts at that time and was told proudly they had burnt it . . !

Probably the most valuable item in the house as he was badly wounded on the Western Front and then sent home to serve in a limited capacity.

Families do not appreciate others sacrifices, that is why family medals are still sold by people who only want a quick buck.

Rob
Old 07-01-13, 02:53 AM

Rob

My grandmother burnt my grandfather WW1 Sevice book, I was fuming but she had it in her mind that if someone got hold of it, they could claim his war pension

After that I stashed away the rest of the paper work, such as his discharge certificate etc

Brian
Old 07-01-13, 03:47 PM

Hi Brian,

I have often wondered where the chrome badges for the SAAF originated.

I have a single collar that you are welcome to have.

Regards,

Will
Old 07-01-13, 07:41 PM
Banned

I've not see chromed SAAF badges, but the RCAF used chrome or white metal for their bands, while RAF, RAAF and RNZAF chromed have also been attributed although not confirmed, so it would fit.
Old 07-01-13, 08:47 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Will, thanks very much for the offer that would great, as this badge was all they had, I did ask "are there any small one's"

SAS nice to hear about the other airforce bands having chrome/silver badges. I suspect it adds a little "bling" to their uniforms, much like recruiting uniforms with their fancy badges.

Brian
Old 08-01-13, 05:37 AM

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the post on the chrome SAAF badges. I have (if I can still find them) chrome airforce type buttons that may belong to the band as well. The SAAF used the same buttons as the RAF from the 1930's through 1950's.

On anouther note re. band badges. I have a set of SA Medical Corps chrome cap and collar badges as used during period 1959 - 1972. I have always wondered you may have used these and I am aware that the SAMC/SAMS had a brass band during the 1960's and 1970's, so it may well be that these chrome badges are from the band.

Steven
Old 14-01-13, 11:41 AM

Hey Brian

I did see one once upon a time, but as to where it is now... I could kick myself. All I can say is you are right, we are always learning. A great find once again!
Old 25-10-13, 02:37 PM

Hi Brian,
I got a set of these chromed SAAF badges recently at one of the markets in CT. Includes cap like yours and a pair of collars. The guy I bought them from also had the airforce guys medals but had sold them by the time I got to his table. The buyer was not interested in the badges that went with the medals. Ridiculous how some people break things up. Pity I did not get to see the medals as then we could have verified whether the recipient was in the band as well.

Steven
Old 31-10-13, 03:26 PM

Steven

Nice find, yes, badges and medals....so closes yet so far apart! It is amazing how many items get split up, especially paper work and photographs! These last 2 items are either cherised or trashed.

Make me rather upset.

Brian
Old 18-01-14, 11:31 AM

Hi All

I visited a 34 Squadron SAAF Vet yesterday, at 92 he has an amazing memory and does not even wear glasses! And to crown it he even has a Facebook page and is completely computer literate, now that is truly amazing.

Whilst at his place I noticed an interesting picture on a shelf, it was one of the SAAF band taken in 1946. Upon inquiring he said he like all the others were part time members. He confirmed they wore chrome badges,belt buckle and buttons....and chromed "art deco" finials on their white polo helmets. This was really exiting news and thus posting a few pics.

These days getting info from source is near impossible, I felt really privileged!

Regards
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of E Coetzee 34 Squadron 004.jpg (83.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of E Coetzee 34 Squadron 010.jpg (73.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 18-01-14, 01:51 PM

Great news Brian,
Thanks for sharing and getting concrete evidence on our presumptions.

Steven
Old 18-01-14, 04:35 PM

Thanks Brian, I have a chromed buckle the same as the one in the picture. I also have a similar one in brass. At least the mystery of the one is solved. Have fun. Andrew
Old 27-01-15, 08:48 AM

Lovely picture. It's solved the belt buckle question for me. I've seen some post 1959 eagles before in Chrome. I assumed at the time that someone had either polished the gilting off them or had chromed them as an experiment. Could they have been more modern band badges?