British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-09, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Cadpat rank "patches"

Interesting offering from a private company. Cadpat rank "patches" to order. Caveat, I have no connection with the maker. The post is for information of the forum members.
http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/namet...idery/8024.htm
Old 10-04-09, 01:46 PM

Hey Bill, that is interesting. When one of my parcels finally arrives from KAF, I will post the Desert Canpat rank insignias I have manages to get.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 11-04-09, 12:42 PM

I had to go through a similar company to get arid CADPAT VIII CH titles made before I deployed two years back. Although there are some of us regular force "dinosaurs" still about with that regimental affiliation, the supply system didn't produce arid CADPAT unit titles for reserve regiments. They may now, I don't know. It makes me wonder how many other folks have gone out and had their unit titles produced.

On that subject, the Halifax Rifles (RCAC) are having their re-activation ceremony here in Halifax 10 May and will, no doubt, be purchasing CADPAT titles while they wait for the supply system to catch up to them. As it stands, they will be using the cadet corps cap badges (association purchased and made in Pakistan) until the supply system kicks in. Does that make these cast badges, and something that most would consider fake, legit now.......
Old 12-04-09, 11:38 AM

8Hussar, interesting question in regards to the cast badges from Pakistan. I think this one will be quite difficult to answer quickly and neatly, without a qualifier. IMO I would hold the bades in a secondary catagory, much like I do with some of the Irish Regtl association items I have.

Old 12-04-09, 11:49 AM

On that subject here is another can of worms for the assembled masses of collectors - when is a fake a fake? Do we consider only Government issued badges legit or can we include private purchase badges as legitimate collectables? As most know, most officers badges were (and are to an extent to this day) private purchase. I don't think that I have two modern officer's 8th Hussars badges that are the same as the Regiment does different runs, different companies etc. Then when you look back at war time units where the officers would go to local jewellers and have one of badges made, where do these fit in?

I guess that the hornet's nest that I am trying to stir (and I am interested in other's opinions), when does a badge stop being legit and become a fake? If I have something made and then wear it on my uniform is that the test? Maybe this is a new thread or maybe this has already been debated.

Opinions....
Old 09-07-09, 11:20 AM

This is a topic I have thought long and hard about. Particularly when it comes to the AT CADPAT unit tabs. I have been trying to get a list from MMD here in KAF but it is an impossible task as the tabs are intermixed with everything that comes through normal government procurement channels. The easiest way I have found so far is to contact Ottawa in this regard but as yet I have not had the time to formulate a well written request.

A quick check of the NSN category 8455 (which is the category code for these tabs) shows only 28 tabs with an NSN. I must then assume that either all other tabs are either unit produced outside the normal government procurement lines or locally produced.

I realize that I have not answered the question direct. My short answer is..... it depends on the item. How is that for not answering.

I guess each item must be taken on its own merits. I have managed to get my hands on a few interesting tabs here lately, CSOR, JTF2, INT, and 2 IR RC. All are tabs worn here in KAF but ALL were locally procured by the individuals. To me these are legit tabs, to others..... it is up to them to decide.