British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-09, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Military Headquarters patches.

Well, spring has decided to go south for a holiday and it is snowing again. Some time to work on some badges.
Here is an image of my accumulation of CMHQ patches. A couple of interesting varieties. Note the two different printed patches, one probably the early run in 1943 and the other a later run. (Darker variety is the early pattern, made on a bit heavier canvas.) The top example is the senior officer's version in bullion wire. These were made for colonels and above. Quite a few officers of that rank at CMHQ, but none the less a scarce patch. The others are examples of the embroidered patches. Note the difference between the veins. Some are done in black thread and others are all yellow / gold. Research at this point suggests the "black vein" varieties are the earlier issue and the plain were issued later. (The black vein would cost slightly more than the plain vein patch, and take a bit longer to make with the additional step of adding the veins.)
The CMHQ patch was worn by both the actual headquarters staff and units under the control of the CMHQ. This included the reinforcement units and some training cadres in the UK. The patch is perhaps one of the most common WW2 Canadian patches, but comes in quite a range of patterns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cmhq patches 04 2009.jpg (76.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-04-09, 05:17 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Hi Bill, One of my Supervisors in the Post Office gave me his overcoat with one of these on it ,he was in the Postal Corps & got the issued just prior to coming home. Bill your info that the canvas issue was 1943,(Boy this is a nightmare) Years ago the theory was the canvas signs or insignia was indeed around that time & it didn't stand up to the wear & tear so they abandoned them & went to melton, Lately the theory (& assumed as fact) is that the canvas was a late idea around 45. I'm confused, I know I've sold a well worn title(17th Hussars) with stitch marks & all & I'm sure it was older than 45. Just another mesmerized collector.

Last edited by boots and saddles; 06-04-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ray, The canvas titles and formation patches were first issued in 1943. There were quality issues and not all units had printed patches issued at that time. Units were, for a period of time allowed to continue to acquire embroidered titles. By 1944, all units in NW Europe (UK) were being issued with printed patches. Then in early 1945, embroidered titles were again allowed. To sum up, canvas was issued starting from 1943 until the end of the war.
Old 06-04-09, 09:04 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Thanks Bill, That clears up some fog.
Old 06-04-09, 11:48 PM

Hi Ray,

The introduction of printed patches and the re-introduction of melton patches, is explained in Routine Orders and the dates are clearly indicated. These events are discussed in my book on formation patches. If you don't have a copy please ask your library to order one.
Cheers,
Clive
Old 21-04-09, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Footnote: Soldiers being repatriated early in 1945 were often patched with CMHQ badges in the repatriation depots. This eventually led to a change in policy, which allowed the soldier to wear the patch of the operational unit that he had served in.