British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-08, 05:21 PM

Default RCD collars

I've got these RCD collars that have never had lugs ,are maker marked scully ltd and are flat backed. Am wondering what time frame are they? thanks
Old 31-07-08, 01:44 PM

56 views and no comments.... nobody willing to stick their neck out on this one and give us a date ... or is RCD insignia too 'common" thru the course of time to properly date. I just have a sense that these are fairly old but was hoping someone could pin it down using the makers mark... thanks
Old 31-07-08, 02:51 PM
David Douglas

Default RCD collars

OK - I will stick MY neck out ! It is quite likely that these are unfinished makers blanks. Your answer may lie in the information available on Scully Ltd., which shouldn't be too difficult to find amongst the host of information on badge and button makers. Many smaller manufacturers were taken over by the bigger organisations and it is reasonable to presume that work in progress may simply have been dumped by the new owner - thus collar badges with no lugs or loops. They would be of no use to the new owner as they had an old name on them - thus they may remain unfinished and end up .................. eventually, with you ! Just a few thoughts. Regards. David
Old 31-07-08, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Jim, The RCD's are a difficult unit to pin down time ways. (Much like some of the QOR badges are as well.)
The colllars bear a resemblance to a pair in Mazeas pre-1914 book, MC2. However those have a scroll with the RCD initials in it. The sprinbok is "chunkier" in the ones you show, and the front hoof is off the base. The other examples in Mazeas pre-1914 and 1920 to 1950 show a springbok with the hooves on the "ground" (base of the collar), and the springboks are leaner.
Like you, I think these are older rather than newer. Another mystery to research.
Old 31-07-08, 09:06 PM

Maybe they are officers sew-on badges.

Greg