British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-08, 12:16 AM

Default Calgary Tank at Dieppe

...here's the quiz...which of these titles was the variant used by the regimnent at Dieppe?

Old 10-05-08, 09:22 AM

Default WOW!...You really know how to test my knowledge!

I am guessing here, I am choosing the last one in the stack, I have all of these but one,in my collection, I actually found that last one in a flea market in Cedar Lake Indiana,who would have thought that one of those prize pieces would be hiding in that hillbilly venue? hehehe!
Old 10-05-08, 12:50 PM

maybe the second one but if not I,d say the 3rd or 4th type....
Old 10-05-08, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

The first one is out. The printed pattern didn't become available until at least 1943. The next one down is the identical embroidered pattern as the printed one, which would make it likely later issue, not 1942. The third one is the starch back pattern which, again was not issued until later in the war, well after the Dieppe Raid.
That leaves the last three, and I would simply be guessing which one, though I suspect it may be the second last one?
Great question Dwayne.
Old 10-05-08, 04:33 PM

Well, did the officers wear the same title as the ORs?

If so, you can see which title is being worn by a Captain Purdy, who was killed at Dieppe, in a picture book about the raid.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_...sualty=2317377

I can provide full details of the book, which I have. I can even send a scan of the photo, but I don't really want to put photos of dead Canadian Officers in this forum.
Old 10-05-08, 04:39 PM

I vote for the 4th one, but only because Bill talked me out of the 3rd one down. I seem to remember a Ron Volsted pic of a Calgary Tanks trooper at Dieppe in a Osprey book which showed a dark shoulder title.

G
Old 10-05-08, 06:30 PM

Default and the answer is.........

......First I agree with BWEF about posting pictures of casualties on the board. The picture to which he refers is the clue to determining the answer. Awhile back Chris Brooker has a number of titles to the unit up for bid. He identified the second title as the Dieppe version....which is wrong. I'm happy that he was wrong as the bid for that one went very high under the pretense that it is the Dieppe variant. I got the Dieppe variant...for considerably less because it was identified as post Dieppe.

The 2nd last one is the pattern worn at Dieppe. With all the respect in the world to our vets, I have cropped the photo mentionned above to just show the shoulder flash. This is a photo taken by the Germans after the battle and appears in the book "Dieppe through the Lens"

Dwayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dieppe Calgary.jpg (79.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 10-05-08, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Dwayne, Not golfing today? Beautiful day here.
Thanks for that id quiz. It is good to have the information about the varieties of various titles out here. Now the rest of us will battle it out when one of these shows up. Do you have any provenance on the third last title?
Old 11-05-08, 05:02 PM

Hi, I'm hoping this is a worn version. The one above is a glue back, I hope I'm getting the hang of these terms. It would be informative for someone to do a thread on the different backings and periods of use. Said he hopefully
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calgary and aa 001.jpg (50.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-05-08, 05:23 PM

Default Yup looks like a good one

..the bottom one in your scan is the Dieppe variant.

Dwayne
Old 16-07-08, 04:10 AM

Dwayne,
Which period is the bottom one in your pic? I have one exactly like it but don't know enough about Canadian cloth to pin down the dates on these things!
Old 21-07-08, 05:38 PM

Default Calgary

Hi,

I would place that one mid to late war. Canadian manufacture and a good quality title. It is a bit straight and small when compared to some of the other versions.

Dwayne
Old 21-07-08, 05:56 PM

Not trying to stir things up but, why not show pictures of deceased soldiers. They died in defence of the world, they should be given recognition for their sacrifice. If you have kids or grand kids who see an old photo and ask, "Who is that", you should be able to tell his story. They should not be forgotten.

Michael
Old 21-07-08, 11:03 PM

Default Point of the photo

The reason why I cropped the photo was that the focus of the subject was the shoulder flash, not the supreme sacrifice made by individual. If the subject was the human cost of the landing on those beaches, the context would have warranted the whole photo. I felt it to be disrespectful and inappropriate given the subject matter of insignia.

Dwayne
Old 22-07-08, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne H View Post
Hi,

I would place that one mid to late war. Canadian manufacture and a good quality title. It is a bit straight and small when compared to some of the other versions.

Dwayne
Thanks, Dwayne -- good to see it's a nice WW2 example.