British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-07-11, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
No one's really answered my question why we have a larger army then Germany, who's economy is 30% larger. Even parity with them is economic suicide in some respects. If you can't afford it, you can;'t have it.; this works all over the place -look at the US right now. Wanting all the goodies, but everyone think's their next door neighbor should pay for it, and not them. I mean if you ant to keep the free National Health, something has to be cut to keep it.

Simon.
Well this has gone rather off topic but I suspect there are many reasons why we have a larger army than germany, some could be that until renunification they were restricted to an army with no overseas commitment, they have large military prescence's of british and american troops and no real concerns about home defence. They also have no former empire or commonwealth (as we took it all off them!) to whom they have any defence treaty's with! Military service, largely due to national service (which I beleive has ended now?) was always unpopular amongst germans and also the fact that germany is far more self sufficient in raw materials and has little need to secure imports from nations it needs to remain western friendly! Just a few reasons, I'm sure there are many more!

Regards Tony