British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-06-22, 12:46 AM

Default Unknown IV badge

Any thoughts regarding this recent acquisition? I assume it's a Roman numeral 4 rather than the initials I-V, and it's approximately 27mm wide by 18mm high. I'm aware that the 4th South African Armoured Car Regt and the 4th Gurkhas wore a Roman numeral at some stage, but my sources show theirs having a local manufactured look, while my example seems a bit too 'ordnance'. Thanks in advance for any information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2337.jpg (89.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2338.jpg (81.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 17-06-22, 02:01 AM

Whist I cannot help with ID to my eyes those loops appear to be early ones, Victorian or Edwardian era.

So I’d say you’re dealing with a badge no later than the early 1900s in date.
Old 17-06-22, 05:45 AM

The 4th Foot - the Kings Own??
Old 17-06-22, 10:45 AM

The 4th Gurkhas did indeed wear a IV badge in their felt hat from 1900 to 1947. I've seen a number of different examples and variants to the ones that are illustrated in the Gurkha Museum's book (3 types) - and given that the badge was worn by 4 battalions for such a long period of time I'm quite sure there are more examples out there. However all the examples I've seen are blackened brass or black metal - also yours is quite a bit smaller than the "normal ones" - so I'm pretty sure its not 4GR ( If it was I'd be beating your door down with an offer! ) - I'm sure I've seen this badge before though and I have a vague memory of a similar badge on an officers cord boss that's been discussed on this forum ?
Old 18-06-22, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Hopefully there's a definite ID out there somewhere.