British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-22, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Actually, what are these Regular Army officers doing there with the VTC? Are they keeping an eye on them to make sure they're behaving themselves and not getting delusions of grandeur thinking they're real Army, or are they maybe on like an exchange weekend, with the VTC Company Commandant in a swap, having his picture taken somewhere in a support trench in Flanders, up to his knees in mud and drinking petrol-flavoured, bomb-crater water from a boot?
The Adjutant and Medical Officer were from the Territorial Force.
My great Grandfather was an Officer in the Yorkshire Dragoons, after a time in France he returned to help with the training of 3/1 Yorkshire Dragoons.
In 1917 he became Adjutant of the 9th West Riding Volunteers, he's on the far right of the photo the medical Officer is back row, 3rd from left.
The rest of the officers wear the OSD Royal Arms cap badge.
Hope this is of interest.
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enhanced_photo (3).jpg (58.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 21-06-22, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
The Adjutant and Medical Officer were from the Territorial Force.
My great Grandfather was an Officer in the Yorkshire Dragoons, after a time in France he returned to help with the training of 3/1 Yorkshire Dragoons.
In 1917 he became Adjutant of the 9th West Riding Volunteers, he's on the far right of the photo the medical Officer is back row, 3rd from left.
The rest of the officers wear the OSD Royal Arms cap badge.
Hope this is of interest.
Chris
Chris,

That is absolutely fantastic, and, no doubt, a priceless treasure. Thanks for posting.

The 9th West Riding Volunteers were not part of the Volunteer Force, right? Were they New Army?

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 21-06-22 at 02:14 PM.
Old 23-06-22, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
JT,

Great photographs, another one here I picked up some time ago. Nice image with the two armbands and the Central Association VTC badge.

Simon
Simon,

Looks as though you and Graham have a photo of the same chap:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...3&postcount=29

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...0&postcount=17

VTC.jpg

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 23-06-22 at 07:13 AM.
Old 23-06-22, 08:33 AM

Quote:
What are the odds of that occurring? Assuming you are both holding an original image?

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 23-06-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 23-06-22, 08:34 AM

Quote:
JT,

Graham and I noticed this on the GWF when I posted my card. The Lad must have been proud of his Service and wanted to show his friends and family I imagine.

Simon.
Old 23-06-22, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
What are the odds of that occurring?

Tim
Pretty slim, eh?

Quote:
JT,

Graham and I noticed this on the GWF when I posted my card. The Lad must have been proud of his Service and wanted to show his friends and family I imagine.

Simon.
Excellent. Is there any inscription/info on the reverse of either?

JT
Old 23-06-22, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Simon,

Looks as though you and Graham have a photo of the same chap:
I would imagine that photographers took a number of photos/poses during a sitting and the 'subject' would be able to choose which ones they wanted and how many copies.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 23-06-22, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Chris,

That is absolutely fantastic, and, no doubt, a priceless treasure. Thanks for posting.

The 9th West Riding Volunteers were not part of the Volunteer Force, right? Were they New Army?

JT
Glad you liked the photo, it is indeed a treasure.
Yes, they were Volunteer Force, started as 9th (Huddersfield) Bn Volunteer Training Corps, then became part of the West Riding Volunteer Regiment, then on formation of the Volunteer Force became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding) Regiment.
Disbanded 1919, I think
Chris
Old 23-06-22, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Glad you liked the photo, it is indeed a treasure.
Yes, they were Volunteer Force, started as 9th (Huddersfield) Bn Volunteer Training Corps, then became part of the West Riding Volunteer Regiment, then on formation of the Volunteer Force became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Duke of Wellingtons (West Riding) Regiment.
Disbanded 1919, I think
Chris
Thanks for this.

Did your gt. grandfather remain with the VF until its disbandment in 1920? (I believe the motor battalions were retained until 1921).

JT
Old 23-06-22, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this.

Did your gt. grandfather remain with the VF until its disbandment in 1920? (I believe the motor battalions were retained until 1921).

JT
No, he left in around July 1919, I do have the exact date, I haven't got his file at home at the moment.
He had a long career, joined the 5th Dragoon Guards in 1891, transferred to the 3rd Dragoon Guards in 1895, Boer War 1901, became a PSI SSM to the Yorkshire Dragoons in 1910, RSM Yorkshire Dragoons 1914, commissioned into the Yorkshire Dragoons 1914, Adjutant 9 WRV Regt 1917, still badges Yorkshire Dragoons, left in1919 as a Captain.
Chris
Old 23-06-22, 04:44 PM

Quote:
No, he left in around July 1919, I do have the exact date, I haven't got his file at home at the moment.
He had a long career, joined the 5th Dragoon Guards in 1891, transferred to the 3rd Dragoon Guards in 1895, Boer War 1901, became a PSI SSM to the Yorkshire Dragoons in 1910, RSM Yorkshire Dragoons 1914, commissioned into the Yorkshire Dragoons 1914, Adjutant 9 WRV Regt 1917, still badges Yorkshire Dragoons, left in1919 as a Captain.
Chris
Clearly the Army life suited him. Thanks for sharing some of his story with us.

JT
Old 25-10-22, 06:33 PM

Evening
Very nice photo, sorry I missed this when posted back in September as the KVF is an interest but I don't have anything to add re the photo just some background. In 1915 the KVF were organised into three 'regiments' East (3 bns + mounted squadron), Mid (4 bns), West (5 bns). After a reorganisation in about August 1916 the battalions were numbered consecutively 1 - 12. The 3rd Mid Kent VF became the 8th Bn.

KVF bands of some sort, eg drum and bugle or full band, existed in a number of towns: Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Northbourne, Deal, Herne Bay, Dover, Sydenham, Beckenham, Erith, Gravesend, Faversham, Maidstone, possibly Sittingbourne and there maybe others. Like Simon's photo the drum on the one I've attached is quite informative "E Coy - Volunteer Fencibles - East Kent - Cinque Ports Battn", E company being Folkestone ( the band continued after the war for some years as the Fencibles Band).

The chap with the two armbands must have liked his photo as I've got 'em as well.

All best,
Steve

Quote:
Hopefully some of you may find this an interesting photographic postcard showing a Volunteer Kent Unit.

Having studied the cap badges I believe them to be for the Kent Volunteer Fencibles however the reverse of the card details the Unit as B Company, No 1 Platoon, E.K.V.R. (East Kent Volunteer Reserve?)

Although its difficult to fully make it out the bass drum bears the Horse of Kent within a circlet with 'M.K.B.' on it, any suggestions welcome re identification and deciphering the other details?

The two Officers and the Warrant Officer wear different cap badges which I have not yet positively identified.

The clothing of the young boys seated at the front is also quite interesting in that one wears a full uniform matching that of the adults, the lad second from the right wears a very small Kent Horse style cap badge and the boy second from the left wears an unidentified lapel badge.

The light machine gun at the front is I believe a Hotchkiss M1909 model.

An interesting image and would welcome any observations .

Regards, Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220922_080658~3.jpg (62.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 25-10-22, 07:02 PM

Steve,

Many thanks for the information and excellent photograph.

Regards, Simon.
Old 16-11-22, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Just wondering if it could be late-1916 around the transitional period from VTC to VF?

At that time the War Office announced that officers and other ranks were now to wear the same badges of rank as those worn by the Regular Army, though all ranks were to wear the Royal Arms as their cap badge.

It’s an interesting subject.

JT
I’m positive that you’ve hit the nail on the head JT. It’s a transitional photo during that period after the Volunteer Force was resurrected (it wasn’t off the statute book) to replace the VTC so that they could be equipped and funded by the War Office. Initially the GS (Royal Arms) badge began to be worn, but once formed into Volunteer Battalions, or in some cases Volunteer Regiments (of several battalions) they mainly began to wear either, discrete badges of their own, or insignia associated with their local regiment plus special shoulder titles making clear their volunteer status. The armistice intervened before every single element of the reorganisation was in place and some units disbanded before ever achieving completely coherent uniformity. As mentioned the machine gun is a Hotchkiss that would originally have been procured for the regular cavalry.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 16-11-22 at 06:43 PM.