British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-15, 09:58 AM
Badge Guru

Default AA - Gold - The Buffs - Gaunt B'ham

I've read the large number of threads on AA Gaunt B'Ham and to be honest its sent my brain in something of a tizzy!

Since I can find no direct reference of anyone discussing 'The Buffs' example or any dealer on the net selling one. Is one to assume that AA Gold Buffs badges are to be discarded as a two pound restrike with the B'ham marked slider?

From Wiki:

In 1956 the 410th (Kent) Coast Regiment (Royal Artillery) was disbanded and converted into infantry. It was then combined with elements of the 4th (Territorial Army) Battalion, The Buffs (Royal East Kent) Regiment to form the 5th (Territorial Army) Battalion of The Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment and was the last separate unit to bear the distinct honours of The Buffs. In 1966 it became the 5th Battalion, The Queen's Regiment. In 1967 it merged with the 4th Battalion to become the 4th/5th (East Kent TAVR) Battalion, The Queen's Regiment.

In 1961 the "Buffs", Royal East Kent Regiment was amalgamated with the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment to form: the Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment.

In 1966, the Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment was amalgamated with the other three regiments of the Home Counties Brigade to form the Queen's Regiment.

In 1992 the Queen's Regiment was amalgamated with the Royal Hampshire Regiment to form the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment.

------------------

So one is to assume post 74 restrike because of the regiments history and the date that Gaunt first started to place this mark on the sliders? Or have I got this totally wrong?

Thank you for your assistance.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 14-05-15 at 10:08 AM.
Old 14-05-15, 10:08 AM
Former Member

JJ Yep!,
you have it wrong, it is probably fine, the GAUNT B'HAM badges to be wary of are metal NOT anodised!

See the link

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=34586

Andy
Old 14-05-15, 10:15 AM
Badge Guru

Thank you Andy. I'll go buy the books!
Old 17-05-15, 06:49 PM

Just thought id add this, id be a bit suspicious of a Gaunt Bham marked "Buffs" badge. There are known examples made by Dowler and by Smith and Wright. A Gaunt Bham makers mark in my opinion ,would be too late for this badge.
Old 17-05-15, 09:03 PM

Hi Guys,

The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) A/A cap badge was priced, on 25th November 1966, at 2 shillings and 4 pennies each. This date is within the acknowledged J.R.GAUNT B'HAM maker mark.

One source of A/A cap badge prices is:

Annex A to Eastern Command, dated 25th November 1966, including 1. Prices for Regular and Territorial Army cap badges. Labelled 118A, file WO 32/20561, the National Archives, Kew, London.

See my book for more details.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-05-15, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

The regt was merged on 1 Mar 1961 to be the Queen's Own Buffs wearing the Home Counties badge. Any a/a badge can only be for the TA or cadets.

31 Dec 1966 saw the re-titling to the Queen's regt so this prices list was right at the end of it's life.

Personally I have a Smith and Wright one and would replace a Gaunt B'ham one.
Old 18-05-15, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The regt was merged on 1 Mar 1961 to be the Queen's Own Buffs wearing the Home Counties badge. Any a/a badge can only be for the TA or cadets.

31 Dec 1966 saw the re-titling to the Queen's regt so this prices list was right at the end of it's life.

Personally I have a Smith and Wright one and would replace a Gaunt B'ham one.
Hi Alan,

The badge was replaced by the Queen's Regiment item on 18th Oct 1966 as was the Home Counties Brigade cap badge and four others.

See Appendix 4 for more details, references etc.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-05-15, 11:29 AM

Can't remember where, but I read somewhere that there is a version with an unofficial? 'R' for 'Reproduction' behind the slider.

Just thought it might be worth checking the various brands and marks that members hold.

Cheers

William
Old 18-05-15, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Can't remember where, but I read somewhere that there is a version with an unofficial? 'R' for 'Reproduction' behind the slider.

Just thought it might be worth checking the various brands and marks that members hold.

Cheers

William
I can confirm that the "R" under the slider exists William.
Personally,i have a Smith and Wright version,and as stated previously,i know of a Dowler mark also.
Old 18-05-15, 04:58 PM

I have a DOWLER BIRMINGHAM one.

Marc
Old 18-05-15, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Cheers

William
Hi William,

It's on page 56 in the Smith& Wright Limited section of the Manufacturer's Markings chapter.

Regards

Chris