British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-15, 12:51 PM

Default Oh dear! as in expensive?

What do the a/a collectors think of this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201284309339?nav=SEARCH
It's not a badge I would be happy to waste my money on.
Or am I wrong?
Cheers Tony.
Old 17-02-15, 01:10 PM

Maybe it is because of the mis stamping of the maker name that someone thinks it is worth paying for? Who knows?

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 17-02-15, 01:25 PM

West Yorkshire Regt (Prince of Wales’s Own) is usually available in AA Gold & Silver. There is also at least one All Silver badge out there, which may most likely be a factory mistake.

They generally sell for hundreds of pounds apiece. With this in mind, I suppose it is not so surprising to see plenty of bids on this cast aluminium fake. There are lots of cast fakes of this badge about.

Possibly collectors are looking for a substitute for the real thing, maybe just to plug a gap in their collections?

Awra best

William
Old 17-02-15, 02:04 PM

That's a shocking looking badge.
Andy
Old 17-02-15, 02:18 PM

If people want to waste their money !
Old 17-02-15, 06:07 PM

I would not pay .31p for it, it must be the worst fake going...

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 17-02-15, 06:18 PM

Looks the same as the one on the excellent site by Chris Cuniffe.

Scroll down to Page 12 http://www.smle.army-cap-badges.talk...d_Infantry.htm

Perhaps he will see this thread and comment.
Old 17-02-15, 07:55 PM
guest123a

It really is a horrible example of a very poor quality copy using the wrong pattern cap badge as a master, as I'm sure most will know the genuine AA badge is based on a much more delicate horse (which is the reason why its so rare as the tail snaps off quite easily), I feel sorry for the buyer of the copy, I hope he knows what he is actually getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
West Yorkshire Regt (Prince of Wales’s Own) is usually available in AA Gold & Silver. There is also at least one All Silver badge out there, which may most likely be a factory mistake.

They generally sell for hundreds of pounds apiece. With this in mind, I suppose it is not so surprising to see plenty of bids on this cast aluminium fake. There are lots of cast fakes of this badge about.

Possibly collectors are looking for a substitute for the real thing, maybe just to plug a gap in their collections?

Awra best

William
Old 17-02-15, 08:50 PM

Hi Guys,

I sold one of these a few weeks ago (the actual badge used in my book) to a member here on the forum for 25GBP so looks like I did not charge enough!

Rest assured it was sold as a fake (which even blind Freddie could spot) and was not this particular item.

If anyone out there is into fakes/repros/unofficial commissions etc. I have quite a few for sale on my web site at:

http://www.aacapbadges.com/fakeforsale.html

Regards

Chris
Old 18-02-15, 12:56 AM

I came across this old thread and as a relative new comer to collecting found it interesting. I have a West Yorkshire badge which I believe isn't a fake. It was purchased in South Africa shortly after the war. When fakes weren't as yet being produced. Unfortunately it is broken. So, my question is – is it worth anything.
Thanks for any help.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg West Yorkshire.jpg (28.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 18-02-15, 01:03 AM

I came across this old thread and as a relative new comer to collecting found it interesting. I have a West Yorkshire badge which I believe isn't a fake. It was purchased in South Africa shortly after the war. When fakes weren't as yet being produced. Unfortunately it is broken. So, my question is – is it worth anything.
Thanks for any help.
Tony
Old 18-02-15, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Firstly welcome to the fourm. It's a cast badge probably made overseas as a replacement for a sodlier serving abroad. It's not anodised aluminium but brass and of little value I am afraid.
Old 18-02-15, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

I sold one of these a few weeks ago (the actual badge used in my book) to a member here on the forum for 25GBP so looks like I did not charge enough!

Rest assured it was sold as a fake (which even blind Freddie could spot) and was not this particular item.

If anyone out there is into fakes/repros/unofficial commissions etc. I have quite a few for sale on my web site at:

http://www.aacapbadges.com/fakeforsale.html

Regards

Chris
And as the buyer of Chris's badge, I was more than happy to take the blindingly obvious fake for its oddity.

I can confirm that it's still in my possession - so there's at least 2 of them out there.

cheers,

Andy C
Old 18-02-15, 12:33 PM
guest123a

Andy,

There are more than two, I have an example somewhere,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
And as the buyer of Chris's badge, I was more than happy to take the blindingly obvious fake for its oddity.

I can confirm that it's still in my possession - so there's at least 2 of them out there.

cheers,

Andy C
Old 18-02-15, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post

cheers,

Andy C
Hi Andy,

This badge is, in my opinion, quite important from a collectors point of view.

Not only was it made by open cast methods and molten aluminium as opposed to impression cold die forging from strip aluminium but someone even managed to attach the slider to it in very robust manner. Such an action is not that easy to achieve using aluminium parts in what must have been a back room setting.

They even went to the trouble of having a 'Gaunt London' puch made to stamp the slider although copies do exist without markings - detail indeed!

In fact this is one of the few fake A/A badges out there when compared to the many factory made unofficial commissions etc.

Regards

Chris