British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-15, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

The Battalion existed from 1961-7. With no a/a badge in existence then either the Bn wore brass and/or did indeed have these anodised base metal versions made. The jury's out as the only evidence for the anodised one is from the sole example in Hugh King's collection which according to the delaer's attribution seems to be the same 'Hugh-King owned' one and is re-sold on every 2-3 years.

5th/6th Battalion, The North Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's) .
1961.05.01 Formed in the corps of The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's) by amalgamation with 6th Bn North Staffords, less Q Bty amalgamated with 855 AA Rep Battery to form R (Wirral) Battery, 287 (1st West Lancashire) Med Regt RA, and Troop at Sale absorbed by 7th Bn, The Cheshire Regt .
1967.04.01 Disbanded and concurrently amalgamated with 5th Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment, to form TAVR elements of The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's)
Old 15-01-15, 03:02 PM

This is an illustration from "The Staffords 1881-1978 " by Rosignoli and Whitehouse.

Despite a search though the text, there does not appear to be any further explanation of the "Cap badge -The L.I. and Mercian Vols"

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4173.jpg (42.2 KB, 51 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-01-15, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Peter

A short lived TA unit in the early 70's.

http://www.mercians.org/MercianHistory.html

Mercian Volunteers was formed in 1967 with four infantry companies based at Stockport, Kidderminster, Burton on Trent and Nottingham respectively. HQ Company and Battalion HQ were based eventually at Fallings Park in Wolverhampton

In 1975 Mercian Volunteers became the 1st Battalion Mercian volunteers and the light Infantry & Mercian Volunteers became the 2nd Battalion Mercian Volunteers. Both Battalions had a NATO role.

IWM has some artefacts: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30078120
Old 15-01-15, 04:09 PM

Alan,

It takes me back to my post of the picture from Edwards 6th Edition.

I hope to be in touch with Jake Whitehouse about something else in the not too distant future and I will ask him if he has any more information about the badge in his and Guido Rosignoli`s book

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4174.jpg (55.4 KB, 38 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-01-15, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect the Rosignoli book is confused and mistakenly shows the 5/6th badge whereas the LI & Mercian Coys wore their regular parent badges so the Staffordshire Coy would have worn the a/a Staffords badge.
Old 15-01-15, 05:01 PM

Alan,by the early 80's the Mercian vols were wearing the Mercian cap badge and collars. One of my best mates served in the coy at Walsall before he joined the RGJ.
Old 15-01-15, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I suspect the Rosignoli book is confused and mistakenly shows the 5/6th badge whereas the LI & Mercian Coys wore their regular parent badges so the Staffordshire Coy would have worn the a/a Staffords badge.
Hi Alan,

See page 561.

ADC Meeting on 29th Nov 1972 re: A/A cap badges for Light Infantry and Mercian Volunteers.

a) Battalion Headquarters and ‘B’ Coy; The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales’s); CB 8455-99-135-3707.

b) ‘A’ Coy; The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th); CB 8455-99-122-9044.

c) ‘C’ & ‘D’ Coy; The Light Infantry; CB 8455-99-974-1222.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-01-15, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Chris

Thanks so the RHQ wore the Staffords' badge as well as B Coy.

Alan
Old 15-01-15, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris

Thanks so the RHQ wore the Staffords' badge as well as B Coy.

Alan
Hi Alan,

That was the authorisation of the Army Dress Committee via decicion D. 2655. However, it was subject to reconsideration at the TAVR review of which I have no further knowledge.

There are quite a few other 'forgotten' units at the time that were authorised various A/A cap badges such as:

Lancastrian Volunteers
Royal Scots and Cameronians Territorials
Welsh Volunteers
West Riding Territorials

etc.

More info in book if you need it.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-01-15, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Alan,by the early 80's the Mercian vols were wearing the Mercian cap badge and collars. One of my best mates served in the coy at Walsall before he joined the RGJ.
They also had a detachment/section/company in Stoke as my son was in it and I believe wore the old Mercian Brigade badge.
Old 16-01-15, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
They also had a detachment/section/company in Stoke as my son was in it and I believe wore the old Mercian Brigade badge.
Think that would have been the other btn.
Old 16-01-15, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I think the cap badges went from Regtl badges in 1986 to Mercian Eagle badge in 1975 and then in 1988 back to Regtl badges. Either way the Staffordshire knot on its own ceased in 1967.

From the Mercian history website linked to above:

Mercian Volunteers was formed in 1967 with four infantry companies based at Stockport, Kidderminster, Burton on Trent and Nottingham respectively. HQ Company and Battalion HQ were based eventually at Fallings Park in Wolverhampton

In 1975 Mercian Volunteers became the 1st Battalion Mercian volunteers and the light Infantry & Mercian Volunteers became the 2nd Battalion Mercian Volunteers. Both Battalions had a NATO role.

In 1988 it was decided to revert back to County titles and Mercian was disbanded and the following Battalions were formed;

The 3rd Battalion The Cheshire Regiment,

The 4th Battalion The Worcestershire & Sherwood Forester Regiment

The 3rd Battalion The Staffordshire Regiment emerged.
Old 16-01-15, 11:41 AM

Chris,

There are quite a few other 'forgotten' units at the time that were authorised various A/A cap badges such as:

Lancastrian Volunteers
Royal Scots and Cameronians Territorials
Welsh Volunteers
West Riding Territorials

Not quite forgotten but I know what you mean, I have a number of items to the 1st Lancastrian Volunteers but items to the unit have become thin on the ground.

The 1 Lancastrian rank slide is the only one I have ever seen and I have never understood why the 1st Battalion had a brass shoulder title but the 2nd Battalion apparently never did.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4278.jpg (45.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3643.jpg (53.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4195.jpg (68.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 16-01-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 28-01-15, 10:29 AM

From 1975 both battalions wore the Mercian cap badge with Mercian collar badges, the collar badges were totally Mercian Volunteers and had nothing to do with the Mercian Brigade which was long gone by then. On the slip on shoulder titles the 1st Bn had Mercian in blue lettering the 2nd Bn in black.

Last edited by Mercian; 28-01-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 28-01-15, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
From 1975 both battalions wore the Mercian cap badge with Mercian collar badges, the collar badges were totally Mercian Volunteers and had nothing to do with the Mercian Brigade which was long gone by then. On the slip on shoulder titles the 1st Bn had Mercian in blue lettering the 2nd Bn in black.
Do you know why one was blue ,the other black ? .I presume the black was a representation of the Staffords .