British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-14, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The badge shown in post 62 - is this not a WWI era officer's bronzed cap badge, minus the finish? Or a copy of it?

I've seen at least one photo of it in wear & bought one a few weeks ago as a OSD cap badge.
When it arrived I didn't like the look of it at all & returned it for refund, along with the w/e bladed RMF OSD cap badge I bought with it.
According to Westlake it is:

"an early shoulder title. Worn in India around c1897."

N.B. There is also some suggestion that it may be linked with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers band from pre 1900 period.
Old 03-06-14, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The badge shown in post 62 - is this not a WWI era officer's bronzed cap badge, minus the finish? Or a copy of it?

I've seen at least one photo of it in wear .
Leigh

to the best of my knowledge this is not an OSD badge. I have never seen photos of it is OSD nor does it comply with the Dress Regulations description of the cap badge or collars for wear in OSD.

I would love to see the photo that you refer to.

It appears to be an unofficial badge, I have not (yet) come across any reference to it in the RACD register of changes nor do I know of anyone who has.

John
Old 05-06-14, 08:12 AM

I'll try to track down the photo.......
Old 05-06-14, 12:51 PM

Sorry to go out of sequence. I have a mystery title. It is a cloth slip-on RDF but certainly not typical of any of my other items and so poorly made. I have excluded it from my main collection until I confirm its origin. It is easy to say 'its a fake' and to be honest that it is why it is excluded from my collection. However, does anybody out there have any idea as to why this exists. Of course it may not be the RDF of this thread but something completely different. Any ideas?. Cheers Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rdf.jpg (40.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-06-14, 05:19 PM

Most interesting, the black on khaki slip on titles are generally from WW2. There was a WW1 slip on title sold by DNW as part of the Grace Gibson collection in August 2004 which was the white on khaki letters RDF ( part of lot 46 ) but which also had a grenade above the letters.

The black on khaki title RDF may be spurious or not a Dublin item but one of the fascinating aspects of our interest/hobby are the previously unrecorded and non official items that surface from time to time.

I am always reminded of the quote by Robin Hodges in " Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army " in relation to 1 Kings- ".We have never been very good at obeying Dress Regulations "

I think the same probably applied to many other Regiments and Corps.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2836.jpg (67.9 KB, 15 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-06-14, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Adams View Post
Sorry to go out of sequence. I have a mystery title. It is a cloth slip-on RDF but certainly not typical of any of my other items and so poorly made. I have excluded it from my main collection until I confirm its origin. It is easy to say 'its a fake' and to be honest that it is why it is excluded from my collection. However, does anybody out there have any idea as to why this exists. Of course it may not be the RDF of this thread but something completely different. Any ideas?. Cheers Ian
I think you are right to be skeptical . As you probably know just as WW1 brought changes to the manufacture of cap badges, it also brought changes to the manufacture of shoulder titles. Abbreviated and un-pierced versions of some metal titles were introduced, as was the readopting of cloth shoulder titles (used earlier in service dress c. 1902 - c. 1908). Unlike the situation with bi-metal cap badges, cloth titles were introduced to conserve metal. Cloth titles were re-introduced in 1915, they were unit designations in white thread on khaki.

In the first patterns, the title was held on to the epaulette by two straps (tapes). The register of changes shows the Dubs version as SPN8288/1915.

A change came in 1916 when the method of attachment was modified from tapes to a “slip-on” sleeve. For the Dubs the SPN is 8936/1916 and the entry in the list of changes is titles WD embd SD cloth drab melton thick "R.D.F. and Grenade"*. The title was 2” "deep". The RACD called titles of this size the no. 2 patch, and the SPN for this size and shape patch was 8742/1916. The use of the war time cloth titles was rescinded on 28th April 1919, when the pre-war metal titles were re-authorized

I see no signs in official records of partial designations without the grenade in black thread nor have seen any photos of them in use.

John

* to clarify the RACD abbreviations in case it is not obvious to all. WD = worsted, embd = embroidered, SD = service dress.

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 05-06-14 at 07:58 PM. Reason: added clarifying comment on abbreviations.
Old 06-03-15, 11:15 AM

Hi Ian,

To me the lower right hand leg of the 'R' looks like it has been added at a later date? Not one I would be comfortable with I'm afraid.

Regards,

Des

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Adams View Post

Des
Old 23-04-15, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
For some reason this collar badge had beem misplaced among my Canadian badges. Thanks to the Forum it has now come home.
GTB
I've gone the other way around,what I thought was an early RDF collar is actually Seaforth Highlanders of Canada one
Old 30-01-16, 12:52 PM

Default RDF shoulder title

Hi Ian, you may be happy to know that I have a pair of simulator mystery titles, the same as yours but with RMF. I also have. The White RMF with grenade above which is certainly correct for the Munsters. Still not convinced either way as I have come actross other black/ dark blue lettering on WW1 slip ones to other units in the past.
Old 30-01-16, 11:53 PM

Hi Phaethon,
looks like a Munsters title to me.

Tags
royal dublin fusiliers