British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26-11-20, 03:21 PM
Postwarden's Avatar
Postwarden Postwarden is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Garden of England
Posts: 2,858
Default Unknown General

Does anybody recognise this senior officer and can put a name to him please?

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg General cap.jpg (48.8 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26-11-20, 05:41 PM
11th Armoured's Avatar
11th Armoured 11th Armoured is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lincolnshire, UK
Posts: 105
Default

Shame it's not in colour - identifying the decorations would probably get you closer to an answer.

There is a resemblance to Lieutenant-General Sir Alan Cunningham, but I'm not convinced, personally.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-11-20, 06:28 PM
Arthur R's Avatar
Arthur R Arthur R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 324
Default

His medal ribbons appear to be :
- Order of the Bath (?), Order of the Indian Empire (?), Military Cross
- WWI trio (with mention in despatches), India General Service Medal 1908-25, India GSM 1936-39
- Defence Medal, War Medal, King George V Silver Jubilee, King George VI Coronation, foreign.

So : a WWI veteran, who served in India in the 1920s/30s and in WW II. The absence of WWII campaign stars suggests no operational command or service, and the Defence Medal indicates non-operational service during the war.
__________________
Regards

Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-11-20, 08:10 PM
grumpy grumpy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
His medal ribbons appear to be :
- Order of the Bath (?), Order of the Indian Empire (?), Military Cross
- WWI trio (with mention in despatches), India General Service Medal 1908-25, India GSM 1936-39
- Defence Medal, War Medal, King George V Silver Jubilee, King George VI Coronation, foreign.

So : a WWI veteran, who served in India in the 1920s/30s and in WW II. The absence of WWII campaign stars suggests no operational command or service, and the Defence Medal indicates non-operational service during the war.
"Non-operational" is a bit thick! My RAF father defended Coventry in the blitz with his barrage balloons, and the D Day ships with his balloon flying from a deck. Definitely operational. [He also got several campaign stars in between]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26-11-20, 09:49 PM
Arthur R's Avatar
Arthur R Arthur R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
"Non-operational" is a bit thick! My RAF father defended Coventry in the blitz with his barrage balloons, and the D Day ships with his balloon flying from a deck. Definitely operational. [He also got several campaign stars in between]
I agree with you that the term "non-operational" is a bit thick (my father too was in Coventry during the blitz), but it's in the regulations.
__________________
Regards

Arthur
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27-11-20, 12:31 AM
Blackadder1916's Avatar
Blackadder1916 Blackadder1916 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
His medal ribbons appear to be :
- Order of the Bath (?), Order of the Indian Empire (?), Military Cross
- WWI trio (with mention in despatches), India General Service Medal 1908-25, India GSM 1936-39
- Defence Medal, War Medal, King George V Silver Jubilee, King George VI Coronation, foreign.

So : a WWI veteran, who served in India in the 1920s/30s and in WW II. The absence of WWII campaign stars suggests no operational command or service, and the Defence Medal indicates non-operational service during the war.
Looking through the generals in the 1945 Army List for an honours profile that fits the above I found one in the section for Indian Army Lt Gens

General Sir Rob McGregor MacDonald Lockhart KCB CIE MC

The "general" comes from later when appointed as the first Commander in Chief of the Indian Army following partition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lockhart

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/s...onald-Lockhart

There is "some" resemblance so is a possibility.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27-11-20, 03:30 PM
grumpy grumpy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
I agree with you that the term "non-operational" is a bit thick (my father too was in Coventry during the blitz), but it's in the regulations.
And of course lumps them in with Home Guard in Walmington on Sea, if serving three years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generals

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.