British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-20, 07:39 AM

Default AFI and ITF

Which units inherited the battle honours and regimental silver of the Auxiliary Forces of India and the Indian Territorial Force which were disbanded in 1947-1948?
Old 16-11-20, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum Pheroze. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 16-11-20, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheroze View Post
Which units inherited the battle honours and regimental silver of the Auxiliary Forces of India and the Indian Territorial Force which were disbanded in 1947-1948?
That is a very good question. I suspect - pure guesswork - that the honours of the AFI, of which there must have been a few, were NOT perpetuated because the units themselves had no logical successors.

The AFIwas made up of [largely] British and Anglo-Indians. The clear, though rarely stated, purpose of the AFI was to prevent a repeat of the 1857 Mutiny be creating units which could 'put down' rebellious sipahis. In fact, many of the AFI units saw service 'in aid to the civil powers' rather than in defending India from foreign foes, so it seems illogical to me that anyone in India after 1947 would want to perpetuate these unit.

My two cents worth!

Peter
Old 17-11-20, 02:36 PM

The counterparts/successor to the former AFI/IDF is I guess the current Indian Territorial Army. The medal given to them is identical to the India Efficiency medal of pre-47 except that it has the Lions of Ashoka instead of the sovereign..

No idea who inherited the honours/regimental silver etc...but you do find a lot of regimental spoons to AFI units on ebay!
Old 18-11-20, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheroze View Post
I don't think any AFI unit was ever awarded a battle honour. They were all disbanded in 1947 and there are no successor units. Some ITF units were converted into regular battalions during the war to replace those captured in Singapore or elsewhere. Again, there were no battle honours awarded to ITF units. Their silver, etc was either dispersed in 1947 or may have been deposited in the regimental centre of the particulat bn.