British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-13, 07:35 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Griff,
Thanks for your meticulous input. Shows that there were several variations in the collars as well.
A big ask, but would you be able to create an album with images showing the chronological sequence of both Motto caps and collars?
Cheers, Tinto
Tinto

Donations of images are always welcome..... thats the way I can really get to grips with these. I am sure there are one or two more variants out there, in this size, that I have not seen yet (or noticed).

I will create an album with each (large collar) variant, dimensions and loop description shortly. I will give each a type number..... this will only signify a variant and nothing more.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 11-10-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 07:36 AM

I have to add my appreciation to Griff for this superb thread with so much detailed information and the showing of so many great period pictures and close ups of so many variations.

Absolutely brilliant.

Jerry
Old 12-10-13, 09:27 AM

Nice pics, they all appear to wear the ba...I mean motto, on the curtain of the cap as opposed to higher up on the side. Is this a regimental thing?
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 12-10-13, 09:31 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Nice pics, they all appear to wear the ba...I mean motto, on the curtain of the cap as opposed to higher up on the side. Is this a regimental thing?
Lee
It could be a reference to the fact that its a Motto.... and not a true cap badge (11th Hussars didnt wear a badge in their beret..... that sort of thing?)

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 12-10-13, 02:37 PM

Hi Lee

Absolutely right, its a regimental distinction.

Like so many other regiments in the British Army, that have different customs, traditions and practices in the way they wear certain things eg. The 11H Hussars had a unique beret therefore, as far as I'm aware, it was felt it was unnecessary to wear a Beret badge.

The fact that the 17th Lancers elected to call their headdress insignia a 'motto', and this custom has been perpetuated through amalgamations, has no relevance to its position on the curtain of their FSC.

The bottom line regarding the 'motto' is, it is still a device worn as insignia to denote membership of a organisation, in this case a Regiment, the 17th Lancers etc. and is by definition still a Badge.

However it is true to say that the 'motto'' does have a little more to it historically than perhaps your average Regimental badge, (no offence inferred) as when the 17th Light Dragoons were formed by John Hale the 'Motto' was chosen to commemorate Wolfe of Quebec fame.
I hope I 've got that right, I'm sure there is more to it, but that is the limit of my memory.
Hope that's of interest.

Lastly, there is a practical reason for the 'motto' to be worn on the curtain of the FSC, it is more visible there, than against the white (French Grey) part of the cap.

Rob

QUOTE=Old Smelly;233250]Nice pics, they all appear to wear the ba...I mean motto, on the curtain of the cap as opposed to higher up on the side. Is this a regimental thing?
Lee[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Robthereiver; 12-10-13 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 03:02 PM

Congrats, you have just upset every lancer who reads this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robthereiver View Post
Hi Lee

Absolutely right, its a regimental distinction.

Like so many other regiments in the British Army, that have different customs, traditions and practices in the way they wear certain things eg. The 11H Hussars had a unique beret therefore, as far as I'm aware, it was felt it was unnecessary to wear a Beret badge.

The fact that the 17th Lancers elected to call their headdress insignia a 'motto', and this custom has been perpetuated through amalgamations, has no relevance to its position on the curtain of their FSC.

The bottom line regarding the 'motto' is, it is still a device worn as insignia to denote membership of a organisation, in this case a Regiment, the 17th Lancers etc. and is by definition still Badge.

However it is true to say that the 'motto'' does have a little more to it historically than perhaps your average Regimental badge, (no offence inferred) as when the 17th Light Dragoons were formed by John Hale the 'Motto' was chosen to commemorate Wolfe of Quebec fame.
I hope I 've got that right, I'm sure there is more to it, but that is the limit of my memory.
Hope that's of interest.

Rob

QUOTE=Old Smelly;233250]Nice pics, they all appear to wear the ba...I mean motto, on the curtain of the cap as opposed to higher up on the side. Is this a regimental thing?
Lee
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-10-13, 05:08 PM

Only joking Rob!
Old 28-10-13, 01:04 PM
LYPAO Boff

Tinto/Rob

Here is an interesting one..... no hallmark unfortunately, but obviously silver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SilverCollarorCapSmall.jpg (36.2 KB, 15 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 28-10-13, 08:35 PM

Nice badge, Griff. Looks identical to mine in the first post of this thread.
Cheers, Tinto