British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-20, 02:21 PM

Default Metal Detecting Find

I found this in a farmers field while on metal detecting on Sunday. I’m reasonably new to detecting and new to unearthing historical items. I think it’s an Australian Commonwealth Forces collar badge. Possibly dated 1903-1911
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19B62375-D444-462A-8C01-FC2381D0EBA5.jpg (114.0 KB, 112 views)
Old 10-02-20, 02:39 PM

Looks like a collar badge. If your in the UK I should think it likely lost during the 1914-18 period. Give an idea of area found and someone might know if ANZAC troops were in the area. Regards, Paul.
Old 10-02-20, 03:16 PM

I found it near a town called Bishopbriggs in Scotland. I know there was an RAF base in the near vicinity during WW2 but I don’t know what was going on beforehand. The base was used as a stopping point for troops travelling south to north and vice versa and surrounding land probably used for training because I’ve found bullets and smooth bore round balls as well. I’m going to post a picture of cap badge I found as well.
Old 10-02-20, 04:36 PM

Welcome. Great ! If you log it with the PAS then we'd know where and why we find these things - it's not just ancient treasures.
Old 10-02-20, 08:42 PM

Yep a collar badge but could be WW2 vintage

Rob
Old 11-02-20, 06:03 AM

That particular variety of rising sun collar badge is typical of WW1, probably made in UK.
Old 11-02-20, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
That particular variety of rising sun collar badge is typical of WW1, probably made in UK.
If I may ask can you show a WW1 and a WW2 collar badge side by side as I would like to see the difference please .

Rob
Old 11-02-20, 09:45 AM

The difference between the 2 is the wording. Earlier badges say Australian Commonwealth Forces I believe. It changed to something like Australian Military Forces.
I also believe it’s the general Forces issue badge. The opposite would be regiment I guess.
Old 11-02-20, 10:21 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_(badge)
Dug badge wording correct for both World Wars.

Last edited by wardog; 12-02-20 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Link fixed
Old 12-02-20, 03:32 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Slackrabbit,

The 1st and 2nd WW rising sun badges are all very much the same and hard to tell apart unless they have a makers name on the back including Tiptaft for both hat badges and the smaller collar badges. There all have the wording AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH MILITARY FORCES, they come in a variety of metals including blackened brass, brass, copper and later white metal. All have a kings crowns.

In 1948 the wording changed to AUSTRALIAN MILITARY FORCES, they are mostly in Brass or Gilt and in 1954 they changed to a Queens Crown. The current badge is in Gilt and the wording is THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY with a Queens Crown and pins and clutches on the back.

The larger slouch hat badges have a void at each end of the scrolls with the names, the Kings crown may be void or not. The WW 1 and 2 collar badges are mostly in blackened brass, they do not have voids at the ends of the scrolls. These smaller badges are used as collar dogs by all ranks, they are also used on the peeked cap, on the women's slouch hat and by nurses as a throat badge in white metal or silver.

From the condition of your badge makes it difficult to say if its WW 1 or 2, as far as Im concerned I cant see enough to make any comment.

Regards

Phil.
Old 12-02-20, 09:44 PM

Not a subject I have thought of before but I wonder how common Australians- apart from airforce, were in the UK during the Second World War- the badge being found in Scotland, near Glasgow? Regards. Paul.