British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-19, 04:55 PM

Default What is this

Hi I know its nothing to do with badges but I'm very curious as to know it's use , can I ask you guys for any info regarding this item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Parach...J/372707172344 , what it is etc , my thoughts were that it's use was for some sort of bazooka, thanks in advance
Old 18-07-19, 06:33 PM

Its far too small for any kind of anti-armour weapon beyond a LAW 66 or similar. Looks like a standard personal weapons drop case although they've clearly improved fractionally in the intervening years.
Old 18-07-19, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
Its far too small for any kind of anti-armour weapon beyond a LAW 66 or similar. Looks like a standard personal weapons drop case although they've clearly improved fractionally in the intervening years.
Thank you , so your thinking is it's for a SLR
Old 18-07-19, 06:48 PM

Was thinking 2 inch mortar with those end caps but not sure how the base and firing mechanism would fit.

Simon.
Old 18-07-19, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Was thinking 2 inch mortar with those end caps but not sure how the base and firing mechanism would fit.

Simon.
That was my sort of thinking , looking at the end caps , thanks
Old 18-07-19, 08:53 PM

When I saw those end caps, I wondered if they were for a Charlie G 84mm but the pattern dates are well before adoption by British Airborne Forces as an AT weapon.

Graham
Old 18-07-19, 09:49 PM

I see a parachute harness or webbing of some sort?
Old 19-07-19, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post

Simon.
The end caps look too big even for a 2 inch/51mm mortar, I wonder if they're just end caps for the whole bundle?
Old 19-07-19, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
The end caps look too big even for a 2 inch/51mm mortar, I wonder if they're just end caps for the whole bundle?
Looking at it again I think you are right and the end caps would secure the entire bundle. Have done a quick search of the IWM site for this item with no matches.

Simon.
Old 19-07-19, 10:37 AM

The NSN is no help, all you get is "Carrier, Parachutist".

It must be for a very small Parachutist.

Marc
Old 19-07-19, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post

It must be for a very small Parachutist.

Marc
A 'D' Day Rupert?!
Old 21-07-19, 07:37 PM

How about the end caps being for the 3.5 inch bazooka which was the British airborne anti tank weapon in the 1950s? I think the container itself was a generic item used by all parachute troops but configured with extra bits if jumping with heavier weapons. (The one I have does not have the end caps.)
Old 22-07-19, 07:09 AM

Its only 60cm long. There would be rather a lot of the launch tube hanging out of one end....
Old 22-07-19, 08:45 AM

The 3.5 inch rocket launcher was 1.52 metres long but broke into two parts for carriage. As such it would be about 76 cm long and could fit the 60 cm carrier parachutist with an obvious need for the end caps to protect the bits sticking out!

Here is another one:
https://pegasusww2britishmilitaria.c...ers-equipment/

Image is of soldiers of 16 Parachute Brigade in the 1950s from The British Soldier in the 20th Century by Mike Chappell.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2881 (2).jpg (71.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 22-07-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 22-07-19, 03:01 PM

I doubt the end caps would offer much protection. Good for stopping birds nesting in the barrel on exercise, but that's about it basically

I'm not certain how this container would have been configured with a large support weapon. Modern CSPEP allow the drop rope to be attached to either side of the container. If the weapon is then strapped vertically to the same side, to facilitate movement in the aircraft and during exit, the container will rotate through 90 degrees when lowered putting the weapon across the top of the bundle to protect it as the container hits the ground.

Graham