British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-12, 09:25 PM

Default Argyll LI missing motto

Illustrations for both M31 Argyll LI and M32 Argyll LI TANK missing motto.
Old 22-02-12, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks David. Another correction inked in my Mazeas. The book is starting to get messy with all the corrections.
Old 23-02-12, 12:55 AM

I've said it before. Time to re-do this title.
Old 02-03-12, 07:01 PM

Default Things that shouldn't be there

I am assuming that Mazeas's time frame for the 1920-1950 book is from the big spring 1920 reorganization (March 1920) to the death of George VI. As such, there are three cavalry badges that do not belong in there, as they disappeared/were re-designated at or before March, 1920. This is in keeping with other regiments he excluded, such as the 21st Alberta Hussars.

C44a British Columbia Horse (re-designated British Columbia Mounted Rifles, 1920)
C45 30th British Columbia Horse (redesignated 1920)
C51 35th Central Alberta Horse (disbanded 15 Mar 1920)

Good news for me, because now I don't need to try and find any of these.
Old 14-03-12, 03:16 AM

Default Queen's Rangers

Mazeas' first illustration M.26 is labelled as the badges of the Queen's York Rangers (1st American Reg't) This is not strictly true. The regiment was formed as the Queen's Rangers in 1925, & re-designated the Queen's Rangers (1st American Regiment) in 1928. The GO cited, (#20 / 1928) is correct, & seems to coincide with the re-naming. (For those of us fond of obscure detail, there is a second G.O. associated with these badges. G.O # 165 / 1928 formally authourizes both brass & silver badges for officers; & speaks to OR's badges, which the initial G.O did not.)

Mazeas' second illustration M.26 are the badges of the Queen's York Rangers (1st American Regiment) (MG). The name change came about as the result of an amalgamation of the York Rangers with the Queen's Rangers in 1936. Again, the G.O. cited (#203 / 1939) is correct, & co-incides with the re-designation. The 1939 G.O did not change the cap badge, but did provide new collars & shoulder titles which Mazeas illustrates.

My point with all this is not that Mazeas made a clerical error. Who would care, right? It was interesting to follow the lineage of the regiment, along with the G.O. for its badges. Together they tell us not just when the badges changed, but why they changed. Good fun.
Old 09-05-12, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

From Jim's post on the Canadian Women's Volunteer Reserve Corps the leaf pattern collars need to be added to S33. The beaver pattern collars need to be verified. S34 listed as Canadian Auxilliary Territory Service is mis-named and should actually be the Canadian Auxilliary Territorial Service.
Old 31-03-13, 07:15 PM

Not seeing this one yet - the Calgary Highlanders had two patterns of collar badge, the one illustrated, and one - I believe more common, at least it seems to be now - with FIRST and BATTN inscribed on the upper scrolls. The latter pattern is not illustrated, or at least isn't in my copy.

On reflection, though, perhaps it is not illustrated because it was never approved by General Order?
Old 31-03-13, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the note on the collar Mike. Mazeas has GO's for most badges, but it wasn't a requisite condition for inclusion.
Old 31-03-13, 07:29 PM

Is it just me, or does he skip The Prince of Wales' Rangers altogether? I see them listed in the "index" but I can't see the badges anywhere. I refer to the post-1936 unit.
Old 31-03-13, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks for the note on the collar Mike. Mazeas has GO's for most badges, but it wasn't a requisite condition for inclusion.
I may have worded that poorly. I wonder if a GO ever existed for the change, hence, Mazeas may not have even known there was another pattern. I shall ask the regimental museum about it, but I have a sneaking suspicion the pattern changed was not done by General Order. Maybe it is so minor it didn't have to be?
Old 31-03-13, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

If the dies had to be changed and they were in DND possession, it would have been at public expense. There would be a record of that expense.
The badge files at DHH and LAC have many examples of similar changes. Any expense was discussed before action was taken.
Old 31-03-13, 09:04 PM

I'm also not seeing a listing for The Princess of Wales' Own Regiment.
Old 31-03-13, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Mike? A listing or a GO? The PWOR is at M30, with a GO 129/23. Mazeas names the unit the Kingston Regiment (PWOR), the 1920 designation. It was redesignated the Princess of Wales Own Regiment in 1921.
Old 31-03-13, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Sorry Mike? A listing or a GO? The PWOR is at M30, with a GO 129/23. Mazeas names the unit the Kingston Regiment (PWOR), the 1920 designation. It was redesignated the Princess of Wales Own Regiment in 1921.
Ah, that's why - thanks. Was scanning the book for names.
Old 22-07-13, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mazeas M5, Governor General's Foot Guards has the wrong GO cited. It should read GO 108 / 1932. The pre-1914 badge was worn until the new design was authorized and procured.