British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-21, 11:39 AM

Default Bedfordshire Bronzed Badge - Any ideas please.

Hello All

I have recently received the pictured badge but would appreciate an identification please. I will most likely be moving this on so if anyone is interested then please let me know. The badge is approx 32mm by 32mm, bronzed and appears to have had a blade type fixing at the 6 o'clock position. I have not seen it in Churchill's as a collar and the closest I can see on dealer's sites is an officer's forage cap badge but those are silver/gilt/enamel.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0259.jpg (66.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0262.jpg (45.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 29-06-21, 11:54 AM

A variation of the Beds Regt OSD, collar badge, the scroll being smaller, shorter than the norm?
Old 29-06-21, 11:57 AM

Leigh, many thanks, would that fit in with the type of (missing) fitting though?
Old 29-06-21, 11:59 AM

I don't know, I wondered if the fitting would have been to retain a cloth backing, not that I've heard of such a Beds Regt OSD backing - and if it was, there are no traces of lugs or tangs.
Old 29-06-21, 12:18 PM

Leigh, I was thinking along the same lines as a retainer but as you said, no sign of lugs or E/W blades. The bottom "fixing" is similar to the material for a blade and it may have had a blade either end of the remaining stub as both ends look like something has been broken off.
Old 29-06-21, 08:00 PM

If you have a copy of Churchills book,the newer collar badge book. It shows similarities to fig 507. Scroll is a bit shorter ,the remainder is very similar.
The example in the book doesnt appear to have full length blades. Possibly short blades, or similar to some SLI badges,a.loop and a blade .Theres also no mention of a backing cloth .