British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-21, 10:24 AM

Default Local companies of RA abroad?

Morning All,

King's Regs 1914 (pic attached, apologies for quality) contain an entry in the precedence of all regiments, units and corps of the army of
  • the Local Companies of Royal Artillery abroad.

Can anyone shed light on what precisely this term means? Does "local" mean locally-raised, as opposed to an RGA unit manning a coastal fort in Ceylon, for example?

There were two units I've found in the August 1914 Army List that fit the bill if locally-raised is the correct definition:
  1. The Hong Kong Singapore Battalion RGA
  2. The Sierra Leone Company of RGA

Furthermore, would any units that qualify as "local companies of RA abroad" have worn any kind of badge other than the RA one? I have found HKS-RGA shoulder titles (pic attached), but no mention of a specific badge. The SL Coy of RGA appears to have been disbanded sometime before March 1918 but I have found a 1913 photo of a group of NCOs wearing badges (pic attached).

Thanks as ever,

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precedence KRs1914.jpg (95.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HKSRGA.jpg (14.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1913 50 Co Sierra Leone RGA.jpg (83.5 KB, 19 views)