British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-08, 03:16 AM

Default Just A Few Buttons

hi all
nothing exciting here but can anyone tell me what these are?
obviously the first is a midlands railways and the second and third also seem to be railways, but i often see these buttons with WW1 badges. any conection?
a WW1 rifles button?
ABE????
and 3 WW1 period turkish buttons. i wouldnt have normaly included the turkish buttons but i enjoy seeing the enemy with locally made kit. (the limerick clothing factory)
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4750.jpg (39.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4751.jpg (40.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-03-08, 09:33 PM

The button with the Wyvern is a Midland Railway (not "Railways") uniform button, and the stringed bugle horn looks like an Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry button. The two buttons with the locomotive could well be from the Eastern Counties or Great Eastern railways (effectively the same thing), while the star and crescent buttons may be Cairo tramways.

Last edited by Stanley_C_Jenkins; 12-03-08 at 09:36 PM. Reason: extra data
Old 13-03-08, 12:46 AM

thanks stan
BC
Old 13-03-08, 12:43 PM

The locomotive looks like a Sinclair 'W' class 2-2-2 of the 1860s, which would indicate the Great Eastern Railway. You might want to try sending an image to The Great Eastern Railway Society (should be able to find some contacts on Google). If it is genuine it may be quite valuable.
Old 07-04-08, 07:33 PM

badgecollector,

The button with the bugle and KC crown is not OBLI. They wore a brass button and the one in your photo is probably black horn. The button is KRRC who wore it until 1958, though the Rifle Brigade also wore the same style between 1872 and 1939.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Old 07-04-08, 07:52 PM

Smile Star and crescent buttons

It is interesting to see the star and crescent buttons being made by a Limerick company, I don't think these are Turkish, I think they are Berkshire Yeomanry, their collar badge has a star and crescent, so I think there is a good chance that these buttons could be for the Berkshire Yeomanry. I would be interested if anyone else thinks the same.

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 07-04-08 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-04-08, 09:03 PM

hi guys
thanks rob for the info. i thought it was krrc and now im sure.
Sonofacqms, thats an interesting observation and i to would be interested in anyone elses thoughts?
BC
Old 09-04-08, 07:54 PM

Berkshire Yeomanry Collar Badge.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 09:44 PM

Unhappy Berkshire Yeomanry buttons

It looks like my observation is pointless, Berkshire Yeo having six points on the star and your buttons five!
Old 10-04-08, 10:15 AM

The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry wore "gold", "silver" and black buttons at various times. It is still my opinion that the dark bugle horn badge could be from the OBLI.
Old 10-04-08, 11:28 AM

hi guys
thanks for your input, im enjoying the discussion.
Sonofacqms, your thoughts were interesting and the berks collar does look simmilar although on less point on star. (great collar)
im still going with turkish or alike, ww1
BC
Old 10-04-08, 02:24 PM
Badge Guru

Crossed cannons Turkish Artillery. The big clue is it has Constantinople on the back........q the song to date is accuratly
Old 10-04-08, 05:11 PM

I have a number of non military books in my Library including "Railway Buttons ,Badges and Uniforms" by David Froggatt and Baileys"Hunting Directory",not because I collect railway or hunt insignia, but because they can often illiminate insignia as being non military.

I feel that I probably should have a book on police insignia as well,but I dont.

You often think you have found a rare military item,only to find that it is nothing to do with the military at all.

Knowledge is everything.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-06-08, 07:58 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to the site so should explain I am an Australian living on the Gallipoli Peninsula, in the town of Eceabat, close to the battlefields.

I just saw this thread and can say that buttons the same as those believed to be Turkish are on display in a private museum my wife and I have been helping out with in the village of Buyukanafarta. These buttons were found on the battlefield in the Suvla area on farmland owned by the Turkish chap, Ozay Akdogan, who has the museum.

While the Berkshire Yeomanry did serve at Suvla, as has been noted their buttons would have been different. I have seen similar Turkish buttons found at the Seddulbahir front, a sector where the yeomanry did not serve.

While not trying to plug the museum in Buyukanafarta I have to say it has an interesting collection of badges and buttons from English units that served at Suvla, which is why I joined this forum, as part of my hunt to identify these pieces.

Cheers
Bill
Old 01-06-08, 11:02 PM

hi bill
thanks for the info on the buttons and regarding the museum. would like to get more info regarding then museum and if possible, would like to see some pics of the museum and some of the badges they have
BC