British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-15, 10:31 AM

Default Pembrokeshire Police

This turned up at my local auction house last night. A bit large for a cap badge and probably came from a police station wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clunge 004.jpg (69.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Clunge 005.jpg (44.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 25-04-15 at 11:46 AM.
Old 25-04-15, 11:59 AM

Hi

Nice find! As you say, possibly from a station wall or it could be the sign from the wall of a "Police House", indicating the location of a local resident Officer.

Incidentally, I think the official force title was Pembrokeshire Constabulary but they always used "Police" on badges (all those I've seen anyway) and it varied between the two titles on buttons, at different times.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 25-04-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 25-04-15, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Hi

Nice find! As you say, possibly from a station wall or it could be the sign from the wall of a "Police House", indicating the location of a local resident Officer.

Incidentally, I think the official force title was Pembrokeshire Constabulary but they always used "Police" on badges (all those I've seen anyway) and it varied between the two titles on buttons, at different times.

David
Having just referred to the "History of the Pembrokeshire Police Force" which was published in 1957 to coincide with its centenary, it would appear that it was a conscious decision to use the word "Police" in the title of the force and not Constabulary.

I have two differing pattern of button with the "Constabulary" title but suspect that this was the exercise of discretion on the part of the clothing contractors rather than a deliberate change of nomenclature by the force itself. Of the fifteen different headdress badges which I have from Pembrokeshire, all use the title "Police".

As to the station sign, this dates from post 1937, as the heraldic shield featured at its centre is part of the grant of arms which was approved in that year.

Dave.
Old 25-04-15, 01:59 PM

Hi Dave

Thanks for that. I get the impression that Pembrokeshire was one of several forces which really couldn't decide whether they were to be "Police" or "Constabulary", not that the title made any difference anyway.

Hallett lists them as Pembrokeshire County Constabulary so I assume they were originally established with this title and subsequently (as you suggest from the force history) preferred to use "Police". As you say, the badges (15 different from a fairly small force??!!) always have "Police" and the buttons have both.

Nice sign though, colours still fairly bright, probably been in storage for years; possibly since 1953, certainly since at least 1968.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 25-04-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 25-04-15, 02:17 PM

Thank you for sharing your expertise. It is good to know the earliest date for this sign and obviously they shouldn't have been making them with a King's crown after 1953. The shield is made from cast aluminium and the fixing arrangements are interesting. The bottom prong obviously dropped into a secure fitting whilst the top had a bolt that would be fixed through something solid and held in place with a nut. Unless the bolt was very long it could not have been secured through a wall without some special fitting. It might have been attached to a pole or possibly a door.
Old 25-04-15, 02:26 PM

David,

Hallett's book has a significant number of errors in it and I would be more inclined to take notice of the force produced history than Mr. Hallett. If you look carefully he gives the title "County Constabulary" to every County Police Force he lists. In many cases he is in error as a significant number omitted the word "County" from their formal title. For example the Devon Constabulary was ever such from formation. A small point but significant in terms of accuracy which was not Mr. Hallett's strong point.

Dave.
Old 25-04-15, 02:28 PM

I think they would more usually be attached to a wall but possibly to the door of a police section house. With a KC and the above info from Dave, the sign has to date c.1937-1953. Earlier examples were usually cast iron.

David

Dave - point taken, I'm not sure if Mr Hallett is still around to object to your comments!!!

Last edited by davidwyke; 25-04-15 at 04:57 PM.
Old 25-04-15, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
I think they would more usually be attached to a wall but possibly to the door of a police section house.

David

Dave - point taken, I'm not sure if Mr Hallett is still around to object to your comments!!!
David,

I'm not that worried - nor will he be, he's long dead!

Dave.
Old 25-04-15, 03:02 PM

Default Mr Hallett

Dave

In the clear and safe then!!

David