British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-15, 08:48 PM

Thanks dave,
I have just got off the phone to an old collecting friend. He has a photo of a member of the 'Metropolitan Womens Police service' formed 1918 and she has a star not a pip on her collar, but he cannot make out if its embroidered or WM, a later group picture shows the same lady but now with a 'pip' not a star? I am happy to acknowledge my error and have learnt something. The location of the photographers would put it on the present 'M' district but these have changed several times. Camberwell Road is just around the corner from the old camberwell green nick which was reduced to just an office and is proably closed now. Wish i'd have kept that uniform and helmet now.
Regards
Steve
Old 15-02-15, 09:20 PM

Steve,

Many years ago I was given a large box of numerals, pips, cape brooches and other metal work which originally had come from the old uniform stores at Lambeth. In amongst it all were several of the white metal stars. They remained a mystery as to what they were until I realised that they were early rank badges. Another mystery were several small chrome "bar" badges. I eventually found out that these were worn by Junior Station Inspectors. These were guys who had graduated from Trenchard's short lived Hendon Police College. I will take a photo of them and the stars tomorrow and will post it on here for you to have a gander at.

Dave.
Old 17-02-15, 02:46 PM

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the additional information and pictures. I contacted the Met Heritage Center about the Fairfax/Wilinson manuscript but they do not have a spare copy available. Is the Historical Society you mention the same as the Heritage Center or a different organisation?

-Michael
Old 17-02-15, 08:30 PM

Michael,

Yes, the Heritage Centre is part and parcel of the same set up. I'm sorry that they were unable to help you with a copy. It's a pity that it was never properly produced I'm sure there would be a great deal of interest in it. I'm glad the photo and additional information were of assistance.

Dave.
Old 17-02-15, 08:39 PM

I aquired from Lambeth stores the 'test' stamps from the pattern dies for G.V badges. These were being chucked away. They were a grey lead looking metal uncut on the backing. Interestingly there was an inspectors badge, the garter strap style one and the 'normal' PC's one. Vic Wilkinson nearly bit my hand off!!! When we were having a clear out, I was told to take a box to the council incinerator. In it was a Supts no 1 uniform, the jacket with the frogging, trousers sword belt and helmet with the officer quality helmet plate KC, the helmet was edged with silk. needless to say it got dropped of home. Vic had that one as well as a city of london police equivilent. The badge on that helmet didnt have a number but crossed maces as far as I remember.

Regards
Steve
Old 19-02-15, 09:48 PM

Gents,

As promised I attach to this posting a photo of the pre. ww2 Metropolitan Police rank stars and also the "bars" which were used to signify the rank of "Junior Station Inspector" adopted by the short lived Hendon Police College graduates.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metpol. ranks..JPG (106.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 21-02-15, 01:44 PM

Thank you for the excellent picture, Dave. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael