British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-02-15, 10:51 PM

Default St. John Ambulance Badge w/ Name Engraved?

this St. John Ambulance badge has been in the collection for a good while. The interesting feature is the very well executed engraving on the reverse: "FLORA G. WARNE". Was engraving like this a common practice?? Thanks in advance for any info!

Mark ~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020329.jpg (61.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1020330.jpg (51.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-02-15, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcM View Post
this St. John Ambulance badge has been in the collection for a good while. The interesting feature is the very well executed engraving on the reverse: "FLORA G. WARNE". Was engraving like this a common practice?? Thanks in advance for any info!

Mark ~
Not on a badge of this type. Normally name engraving appears on the reverse of qualification badges plus a number. This badge (although there is no size indicated) appears to be of the pattern normally worn as an arm badge by police pre world war 2. It seems slightly convex. I would suggest that the lady has had it done herself as opposed to it being executed by those who issued it. Others may have a different view.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 09-02-15 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 10:08 AM

Hi,
I have seen this arm badge also worn pre Boer War by St.John Ambulance staff (both ambulance men and nurses) in South Africa as well as during Boer War by St.John ambulance staff. I believe this is an early SJAB badge and this particular may well have been issued to a SJAB nurse. I would imagine though that the engraving was privately done as I have not seen this before on these large (50mm to 60mm) badges.

Steven
Old 09-02-15, 12:34 PM

They were used up to and possibly just after the 2nd WW here in the UK and are fairly common. I have had a couple in my "swop" box for at least the last 10 years. There are usually at least half a dozen listed on eBay UK.

Dave.
Old 09-02-15, 01:09 PM

There is a smaller one (+-35mm) worn on the sleeve that is very common and indicates holder of first certificate in first aid, but the larger one I have rarely seen.
Old 09-02-15, 01:18 PM

this one is 50mm. If it were possible to research the name, that would pin the date down conclusively...
Old 09-02-15, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcM View Post
this one is 50mm. If it were possible to research the name, that would pin the date down conclusively...
Mark,

Flora Gleedon WARNE was born circa 1870 in Islington, London.

1911 census shows her living at 87 Gower Street, London aged 41 yrs and occupation as Nurse.

She died at Brighton (East Sussex) General Hospital on 1st June 1954 aged 84 years and at the time was living at 89 Brading Road, Brighton. She was a Spinster.

Probate was granted at Lewis, East Sussex, to an Accountant (named). Her estate was valued at £182 11s.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave.
Old 09-02-15, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Mark,

Flora Gleedon WARNE was born circa 1870 in Islington, London.

1911 census shows her living at 87 Gower Street, London aged 41 yrs and occupation as Nurse.

She died at Brighton (East Sussex) General Hospital on 1st June 1954 aged 84 years and at the time was living at 89 Brading Road, Brighton. She was a Spinster.

Probate was granted at Lewis, East Sussex, to an Accountant (named). Her estate was valued at £182 11s.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave.
Fantastic background, Dave! Will run the name around NA medal rolls over that date range for a possible match!