British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-11, 01:04 AM

Default Prison Warders uniform issue document (V.R)

I finally found it, this is my uniform issue/dress regs for Victorian era Prison Warders and it shows exactly what they wore and what it was made from.

A few of us have asked the question about rank so I just took a few snippets from the book to help. This shows that the letters A and AW were embroidered in "worsted", or bullion, before they changed to brass insignia later on.

Hope it helps gents?
Old 08-04-11, 01:07 AM

sorry, that came out wrong. I'll try again

Last edited by HMPbadges; 08-04-11 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 01:14 AM

Sorry, had a blip on my PC, but here they are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3666.jpg (22.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3668.jpg (57.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3669.jpg (51.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 08-04-11, 08:27 AM

Default HMP uniform

Hello HMP badges

That is a real Gem of information, thankyou for sharing it with us.

ReGuards
Destro
Old 08-04-11, 11:31 AM

Hi HMPbadges,
Like Destro1918 I would like to thank you for posting that information.I can understand the AW and W insignia being embroidered in the early issue but with an increasing numbers of staff it would make sense in producing it in brass in latter years.Could you clarify what year that document was produced ?
Regards
bantam
Old 14-04-11, 12:33 AM

Certainly Bantam, it was 1869 as far as I remember. I have the full booklet as well. It describes Principal and Chief Warders uniforms as well and goes into tartan pattern cloth and everything else as well in detail.

Destro please come and talk with us more
Old 14-04-11, 07:06 AM

HMPbadges,
Thanks for confirming that date of 1869 I thought thats what the date read from the image but wasn't sure.A really early document.
I am sure Destro will join in when he feels the need to.
Hwyl
Bantam

Last edited by Bantam; 14-04-11 at 07:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 21-04-11, 11:18 PM

I'm back at home now so if i get time I'll post a few more parts from the booklet.
Old 17-07-14, 07:46 PM

A most interesting and informative original document. The attached scans are of the collar badges mentioned, including QVC and KC versions of the Warder's crown within star.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prison badge003.jpg (21.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 18-07-14, 10:27 AM

Hi Jamesb853,
Thank you for posting your pictures I believe that the stars with the crowns were worn by warders/officers on the collar if they had met the requirements to advance to Principal Officer seniority level,crowns for warder/officer and assistant warders no crowns at all.
Bantam.
Old 19-07-14, 08:40 AM

So were these introduced in 1878, when the Home Office took over, or were they already an established form of rank/seniority badge by then?
Old 19-07-14, 04:15 PM

James,
If the date of the booklet that HMPbadges confirmed of as 1869 then the rank structure was in use then we can surmise that the badges could have been in use then.They were definitely in use after 1878.
I have tried to elicit answers from The Galleries of Justice but I'm afraid they have not been very forthcoming in releasing information.On their display of badges they have omitted the George V badge and also state the Edward VII badge was worn from 1903 until 1938 when there is clear evidence that it was not.I believe when you visit museums you should be provided with correct information.
Bantam
Old 19-07-14, 04:50 PM

Default Prison badges

Hi Bantam,
I agree entirely with your views about the Galleries of Justice. From their website it looks as if they are more interested in promoting themselves as some kind of theme park and event hire organization than facilitating serious research.
Old 19-07-14, 07:50 PM

They have a lot to answer for (and a lot still to display) at the GOJ in my opinion
Old 19-07-14, 10:48 PM

I suspect they may well also lack expertise: having acquired an invaluable collection they probably do not have anyone on their staff who knows anything about it. The first (and only) time I have ever contacted them about a prison badge in my possession all they wanted to do was to try and persuade me to donate it to them!