British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-20, 03:05 PM

Default New Bits for the HG Collection

I recently acquired these for my Home Guard collection off Ebay

I really like this and when I won it I was thinking it was on a piece of overcoat, but when received it is on a piece of striped suit material. I know the back image is fuzzy, but you can still see the stripes. I am only guessing that it might have been worn by an LDV gentleman who qualified for the badge, since it is on suit material???

I was a little suspicious about this lot, but got it for like 10 GBP, so cannot complain. When it arrived I felt much better about it as there is no doubt of the age. The seller said these items belonged to his grandfather. The 51st HD patch is curious though as the seller told me his grandfather had no association with that unit, but these were all together in a box. Figure the LDV arm band is an early home made one.

Terry
Old 19-05-20, 04:57 PM

Smile 51st Highland Division

I have a pair of Great War 51st Highland Division patches given to me by a man who was in the 51st Highland Division during WWII.

I was curious as to how he acquired the earlier variety and he said he was on leave and drinking in a pub in South London and a man saw his 51st Highland Division patches and gave him the ones he wore during the Great War.

Just an example of how things were 70+ years ago with people giving insignia as gifts to others, badges were commonplace and with little monetary value.

Rob
Old 19-05-20, 05:14 PM

Very interesting story,and yes those were different times for sure! I have a friend who was a medic in the 29th Division, first wave at Omaha Beach. During the war he treated many wounded German soldiers as well as our own. Two different Germans gave him something to thank him for treating them. The first gave him a beautifully painted cigarette case that he'd gotten in Italy, and the second one gave him is Iron Cross ribbon of off his uniform. His note does not indicate the ribbon being given to him, but his letter which came with it says that is how he got it.

Terry