British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-20, 12:56 PM

Default 1st Volunteer Battn Lincs Regt

Dear All. Apologies if this post is duplicated; I am new to the forum and struggling to upload a post. Attached image shows (rather fuzzy, I'm afraid) badges on an officer whom I rather hope is 1st Volunteer Battn Lincolnshire Regiment. The photo was in the personal effects of the last surviving family member and there seems no reason why the photo should be anyone other than this person's grandfather. Can anyone identify please? Many thanks. Stewart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges.jpg (42.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 01-11-20, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Stewart, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 01-11-20, 01:49 PM

Of course there isn't much more then just a silouette of the Helmet Plate Center, but to me it looks like The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 01-11-20, 02:22 PM

Hi Henk. Many thanks for your response. Yes, unfortunately the image of the badge is poor. It's a disappointment because I am researching an officer of 4th Battn Lincs Regt (Lt Charles Ellwood) who was killed in WW1; his father (Arthur) was in 1st Volunteer Battn and eventually rose to become the OC. This photo was in the personal effects of Charles' nephew, the last of the line of this branch of the family. There's also a photo of the same man, a little older, with his wife and three children - they seem to fit perfectly to the make-up of Arthur's family. Perhaps just a co-incidence, but strange nevertheless. Stewart
Old 01-11-20, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Of course there isn't much more then just a silouette of the Helmet Plate Center, but to me it looks like The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.
Agreed, and the pouch belt would indicate one of its Volunteer Battalions (Possibly still displaying its earlier Rifle Volunteers badge).

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 01-11-20, 03:02 PM

Thank you. I posted a reply some time ago but it hasn't appeared (I may be doing something wrong?!). Anyway, it's a disappointment as I am researching officer KIA WW1 (Charles Ellwood) whose father was in 1st Vol Battn Lincs Regt. This photo was amongst the effects of Charles' nephew, the last in the line of this particular family. There is also a photo of the same officer (in civvies) along with his wife and three children - age-wise, they fit perfectly with the Ellwood family of that period. So, it's a bit strange that these photos should come to be in with the 'Ellwood stuff'. But, it seems that, as I had hoped it might be, this is not Charles' father. Stewart
Old 01-11-20, 04:12 PM

Because the OP probably is not a badge collector and thus will have no real idea waht we are talking about, these pictures.

They are Other ranks and not officers, thus slightly different. Also they are of the regular battalons, but for the outline that does not matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Lincolnshire.jpeg (9.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg Loyal-North-Lancashire-QVC.jpeg (13.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 01-11-20, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Because the OP probably is not a badge collector and thus will have no real idea waht we are talking about, these pictures.

They are Other ranks and not officers, thus slightly different. Also they are of the regular battalons, but for the outline that does not matter.
Hello. You are correct in that I am not a badge collector but I have to say that the centre part of the badge on the helmet looks 'fatter' than the one you have shown for the Lancs Regt.

I have tried to post other replies explaining a bit more about the photo and the persons involved but they don't seem to be appearing in the thread. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Stewart
Old 01-11-20, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart andrew scott View Post
Hello. You are correct in that I am not a badge collector but I have to say that the centre part of the badge on the helmet looks 'fatter' than the one you have shown for the Lancs Regt.

I have tried to post other replies explaining a bit more about the photo and the persons involved but they don't seem to be appearing in the thread. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Stewart
Yes, it looks a bit different, but I walked through all of them (you can see for yourself: The Regiments in 1881), but this was fitting best. And the Lincolnshire with it's Sphinx is more different in my opinion.

Old 01-11-20, 09:40 PM

It looks like it could be one of the Middlesex Rifle Volunteer Corps plates, who wore the Royal Crest in the centre.

Tels-insignia has one for the 20th and I think the 11th also (Below).

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201101-180815~2.jpg (64.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-11-20, 11:15 PM

The centre of the pouch belt plate certainly bears a resemblance to a Lincolnshire Regt. collar badge.
Old 02-11-20, 11:22 AM

With what Neil and Keith has added it is possible that the Helmet plate is one of the Lincoln RVC's.

Unfortunately only a collector of specific Lincoln RVC badges would be able to tell us.

Is there one on here?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 02-11-20, 12:28 PM

Dear All. Thank you so much for looking into this for me - the link to the regimental badges site was very useful. Recognising, again, that the image of the helmet and pouch belt badges is poor (out of focus - a great shame as the overall image is quite striking) and also that I am rather ignorant when it comes to badges, I honestly don't see a badge shown in the link referred to that could match the one on the helmet plate. I have so much circumstantial evidence to support this being Arthur Ellwood, father of the man I am researching, that perhaps I am trying to make something fit that clearly may not! In 1803, Arthur's grandfather had been commissioned into the Horncastle and North Reston Volunteer Infantry though I wouldn't have thought any of that regalia would have been extant when this photo was taken in the circa 1880s? Regards to all and thanks again for your help. Stewart.
Old 02-11-20, 01:07 PM

Just some additional information

The 1st and 2nd Lincolshire Rifle Volunteer Corps became volunteer battalions of The Lincolnshire Regiment in 1881 without change of title.

In 1883 they became 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battailon, The Lincolnshire Regiment.
In 1900 3rd Volunteer Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment was raised.
In 1908 these three battalions were reorganised in 4th and 5th Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment (TF).

The whole is here in chart form: Infantry Volunteers: Lincolnshire.

Last edited by Wmr-RHB; 02-11-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 01:22 PM

There are the times when the Bosleys auction catalogues can provide the answer, unfortunately without any sort of indexing available it would be hours of trawling through them.