British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-17, 10:21 AM

Default Mis-identifed Dorking Cadet Corps badge

Hi Guys
I am posting this for a fellow member who has a problem posting pix. Can anyone ID these for him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badge 1 front.jpg (117.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Badge 1 rear.jpg (116.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 25-05-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 25-05-17, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

The badge is probably education related with 'Work Conquers All' as the motto and the Greek Lamp of learning. The wreath also has educational symbolism, especially in the USA where it represents achieving a masters degree, but also represents academic success in general.

My notes show that it has been attributed to a Cadet corps but there is no evidence to link it to one not anything that links it to military cadets at all. I have seen it sold as a Dorking school badge but their is no linkage at all with any symbolism connected to Dorking school or the Council or town itself. Whilst there was a Surrey Cadet badge, it bears no resemblance to this one at all.

In fact it bears no relation to any British town or council badge using that symbology.

It remains firmly in the un-identified section.

Last edited by Alan O; 26-03-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 25-05-17, 12:33 PM

Rawlings ascribes the motto ( only ) to Dorking High School.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-05-17, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I cannot find any evidence to support Rawling's claim about the badge or even the motto.

Dorking High School was founded in 1884. It became Dorking Grammar School in 1931. The school's motto was Esto Fidelis as evidenced by this plaque:

http://ashcombedorkinian.com/htm/mem.../OldHeads1.htm

The plaque very helpfully has a companion which records that Dorking High School for Boys preceded it until it merged with the Girls High School in 1931. The school badge bears no resemblance to the one on the badge in any shape, form or symbology.

Helpfully, Dorking Museum has this plaque from Dorking High School which includes the school crest. It consists of the intertwined DHS letters which are of the same style as the post 1931 letters for Dorking Grammar School.

My eyesight is not sharp enough to read the motto but it does not appear to be the one on the badge in post one. It appears to me to be '..... et labore' Could be 'fide' or 'arte' which would translate as 'Skill and labour' or Faith and labour.'

Anyway Rawling's ID is definitely not proven by this and I believe it is incorrect. There are some other errors in his book such as the use of Bath Police Collar badges for Bath OTC which wore the Somerset light Infantry cap badge with permission from CO of the 1st Battalion SLI.

I have had a response from the school association. They did not have a cadet corps but an ATC was raised in WW2. The motto was not the one on the badge shown.

Rawlings appears to have been in error.

Last edited by Alan O; 26-03-19 at 02:37 PM.
Old 26-03-19, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

One of these is currently on a dealer's website for £110. Caveat Emptor applies.