British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-10-18, 10:19 AM

Default WHAT STARTED ME COLLECTING BADGES ETC

This is the item that started me collecting badges, 1st picture. When I had completed this poster I thought what do I do now?? Oh yes, I am a Sapper so collect Royal Engineer badges and so the BIG spiral started......
Also 3 other posters I am collecting to. The "all the signs...." are complete except for the 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha piper black on green.(any one have a spare?) The last poster is a ongoing task.

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-10-18, 12:27 PM

Smile

poster number one for me too Jerry. From there it was what else is there in anodised... at that point they weren't that popular and still quite cheap.

Subsequently sold them all to reinvest in what is now my main interest. given prices now though I wonder if I should have held on to them!

EY
Old 09-10-18, 02:30 PM

Default Texaco

Great British regiments by texaco, free with petrol in 1970.
Old 09-10-18, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Great British regiments by texaco, free with petrol in 1970.
Bought one about 14 days ago, just the backing board with the full set of badges (I have a complete one I got back when they came out - 1973?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400 (15)~3.jpg (34.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-10-18, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
This is the item that started me collecting badges, 1st picture. When I had completed this poster I thought what do I do now?? Oh yes, I am a Sapper so collect Royal Engineer badges and so the BIG spiral started......
Also 3 other posters I am collecting to. The "all the signs...." are complete except for the 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha piper black on green.(any one have a spare?) The last poster is a ongoing task.

Jerry
These are Black on Rifle Green. Piper Green on Black are Royal Irish Rangers, now Regiment. So which ones are you missing, don't count the Piper Green on Black Medic!

Marc
Old 09-10-18, 04:58 PM

Default First badge

In the early 70’s got given a badge (Queens) that I treasured and was then hooked. Following 5 years cadets and 24 years in the army the rest is history...
Old 09-10-18, 08:31 PM

Just the one for all 3 Regiments - 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha Rifles piper which is black on green as per the poster.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 09-10-18, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Just the one for all 3 Regiments - 6th, 7th & 10th Gurkha Rifles piper which is black on green as per the poster.
Jerry
Sorry, I misread your text.

Marc
Old 10-10-18, 06:28 PM

Cool

Given a EiiR RMP and Lincolnshire Regiment badges, as a boy.....like jangling a bunch of keys in front of kitten .
Tony.
Old 10-10-18, 10:33 PM

I pinched a RFA title out of an allotment shed before WW2.
Old 10-10-18, 11:34 PM

Default Start

Back in 1938 Hertfordshire County Council sponsored the formation of a TA RE unit. My uncle Michael's mother wouldn't allow her husband to join. In 1939 he joined the RE. His civil expertise was concrete construction and his skills were needed by the BEF in France building blockhouses, A/T defences etc. Officer training consisted of reporting to Chatham Barracks one Friday morning, paperwork, being taught how to salute, being issued with a pile of military engineering pamphlets, being sworn in and fed. Saturday morning off to London to see regimental tailor and buy kit. Sunday morning on the boat train to France. May 1940 evacuated from Dunkirk and then resumed his army role building defences in SE England. To get the defences built he had detachments from various regiments placed under his control. Wherever possible he pinched a badge from them and posted it home to my uncle Michael. Obviously many were broken as they were the ones that could be spared. Capt Pain moved on, we think to building Mulberry harbour prototypes in Scotland, and D Day (+ a couple) to build the harbour. He ended the war as a Major with a RE Company in Germany.
Skip a few years....a green back full of badges is given to a young Stephen by his uncle. The rest is history.

Stephen.