British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-18, 06:22 AM

Default Army Audit Staff

Hi all,

i Andy,

I have a quick question. I got nice set of medals for my collection and usually I am presenting a cap badge next to it. But this time I am stuck and I can't figure out what cap badge I would need for a display. Owner of the set of medals received a rank of Lieutenant during the war (must wore uniform then?) While serving with Army Audit Staff. Now, I can't figure out what insignia they had or did they used?

Can anybody help me? Also if you know where I can find one of these badges.

Thanking you in advance!
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 06-09-18, 07:47 AM

You will need to look up his commission details in the London Gazette, where all commissions and promotions are/and were announced. There is online access and past issues are searchable. An officer was usually commissioned either, onto the ‘General List’, in which case he would have worn the General ‘List’ (‘Corps’ for ‘other ranks’) badge of a a Sovereign’s coat of arms (design according to reign), or into a specific regiment or corps, in which case that will be shown. Once you have discovered the unit and badge you will need to look for an officers pattern badge, which is often in an officer’s service dress (OSD) Bronze finish. I’m unaware of any supplier of restrikes or copies in that style and so it will be necessary to scour the various military insignia and regalia dealers accessible online.

P.S. Army Audit Staff was not a discrete corps in itself and its officers and men would have been attached for the duration of their special duties (i.e. detached from their parent units).

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 06-09-18 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 08:10 AM

Thanks! Hete is his LG input and MIC:

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 06-09-18, 11:57 AM

There is no doubt from that short entry that he would have worn the General List badge, if and when required to wear uniform, Timo. It was standard policy in times of war to place such nondescript officers given ‘relative’ rank on the General List.
Old 06-09-18, 12:48 PM

Thank you so much Toby! So, if anybody have this badge for a sale then please let me know.
Old 06-09-18, 04:27 PM

You need to be looking for the large size (50mm x 50mm) OSD version with blades.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSC ww1 LARGE.JPG (35.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-10-18, 03:29 PM

I think I bought the right one...
(Tone is actually darker then it's looks on the photos)

Goes well with his medals on the display that I would like to make...