British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-12-19, 09:04 PM

Keep in mind Brent, NZRB in New Zealand prior to departure, also wore numerals. Arthur Harrington Coster 25/630 ….
Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Sergeant Allan Palmer, Service No. 25301, 14th Reinforcements, J Company.

Keep in mind too , Brent , NZRB did wear numerals as well in NZ, prior to departure . Arthur Harrington Coster 25/630 ……...

Private William Robertson, Service No. 14482, 14th Reinforcements Auckland Infantry Battalion, A Company.

Iain like yourself I do not collect NZ Reinforcement Numerals although I do have a single D/10 which measures at just over 25mm.

I do however collect regulation NZ Regimental Numerals (1 -17) and regulation NZ Corps/Battery Letters (A – J), which were all made by Gaunt and were all the regulation size of 5/8th of an inch (approx. 15mm)
I also collect NZ Reinforcement Letters (A – J) all of which measure just over 16mm.

Unfortunately as I don’t have a Stokes Numeral in my collection I can only comment that the size mentioned by Vigilans [Quote:] ― “they are NOT Australian Slouch hat numerals, they are too small (at 13mm)” ― seems unusually small to me considering the NZ regulation size was 15mm.

The Stokes made numerals are rather distinctive considering they have a unique cross bar attachment which sits underneath the numerals, so it seems rather suspicious to me that neither you nor I have found a period photo of a New Zealand reinforcement wearing a Stokes made numeral.
(I do however have period photos showing all of the 5 NZ camp made reinforcement numerals that are depicted in Corbett’s badge book ― pg 176, 183, 184 and 185)

Interestingly Lowe’s Reinforcement badge book (pg 53) shows a war time picture showing NZ Reinforcement Numerals beginning with 17 all the way up to 34, none of which appear to be made by Stokes.

What we both can agree on is that the Stokes made Numerals being sold by Bigg-mama-nz are most unlikely to have ever been worn at all by NZ Reinforcements, which means that if evidence does turn up showing that NZ Reinforcements did actually wear Stokes made numerals, then Bigg-mama-nz has single handily crushed any value of the Stokes Numerals that “have come into collections via NZEF veteran's estates.”

To put this matter at rest Puk, can you supply any proof or provenance of Stokes Numerals that can be linked to an actual WW1 NZ veteran, which you mention exists “in some well established NZ badge collections?”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arthur Harrington Coster 25-630.jpg (42.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Arthur Harrington Coster 25-630 (2).jpg (63.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-01-20, 07:15 AM

Shoulder strap off early tunic with red piping for Infantry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200101_201256.jpg (116.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-01-20, 08:27 AM

Very nice , 8th Southland company . Great to see .
Old 07-07-20, 01:19 AM

I have been working on improving my reinforcement numeral lot(single examples) .I know they go to 51, but will end this lot at 43 , for the reinforcements that sailed . The question is , when did they first start to be more common /standard, when worn on the shoulder tab? . Some of the early ones are rare and usually worn as collar badges .

Here is George Mason 8/4171 , 11th reinforcements , wearing 11's on his collar.

If you have a spare 15,21,24,37, 42,43 then let me know .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Numeralies.jpg (25.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg George Mason 8-4171.jpg (37.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-07-20, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
The question is , when did they first start to be more common /standard, when worn on the shoulder tab?
2nd March 1916.
Old 07-07-20, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
2nd March 1916.
Very precise , so somewhere around 12th reinforcements perhaps ?
Old 08-07-20, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
Very precise , so somewhere around 12th reinforcements perhaps ?
Yes, somewhere around the 12th to 14th reinforcements.
Old 16-08-21, 07:59 AM

Hello all

well as a newish collector of New Zealand badges I find this topic interesting as I have gained an interest in numerals issued to NZEF for WW1.

In my opinion, I feel that staying on point about the topic would both be helpful and informative.

Like other collector forums, I feel they are a great resource for collectors both new and old but when people push a personal mandate or opinion and publicly berate other members is both disrespectful as well not constructive, and runs the risk of pushing good knowledgeable people away from the forum which is a loss of information for all collectors.

From my personal collection of numerals issued to NZEF (only 17 more to get for full range), I have a few that seem to be Stokes made and are happy to have as part of my collection as it has now been confirmed they where issued to some NZEF Reinforcements.

Also trying to find NZEF numerals and information when based in the UK is hard enough so threads like this is a valuable asset to my growing knowledge.

Regards

C

just wanted to put my pennys worth in
Old 16-08-21, 09:47 PM

Hi Cazack

pm me, I have a large bag of spare numerals, probably 50 or so pairs and singles. May have some you are after
Old 18-08-21, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazack View Post
Hello all

well as a newish collector of New Zealand badges I find this topic interesting as I have gained an interest in numerals issued to NZEF for WW1.

In my opinion, I feel that staying on point about the topic would both be helpful and informative.

Like other collector forums, I feel they are a great resource for collectors both new and old but when people push a personal mandate or opinion and publicly berate other members is both disrespectful as well not constructive, and runs the risk of pushing good knowledgeable people away from the forum which is a loss of information for all collectors.

From my personal collection of numerals issued to NZEF (only 17 more to get for full range), I have a few that seem to be Stokes made and are happy to have as part of my collection as it has now been confirmed they where issued to some NZEF Reinforcements.

Also trying to find NZEF numerals and information when based in the UK is hard enough so threads like this is a valuable asset to my growing knowledge.

Regards

C

just wanted to put my pennys worth in

Hello Cazack.

Reinforcement numerals and shoulder titles are getting harder to find, especially the rarer ones , here is my small representation . I picked up a NZAPC last night to add to the board , so I am on the finishing off stage .Good luck with your collection .

Cheers Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shoulder titles latest.jpg (61.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 18-08-21, 08:08 PM

Default nice collection

Hi Ian

very nice collection you have and well displayed, I am slowly working my way to trying to do the same but feel it will take time.

Agreed shoulder titles and numerals are a challenge but make it more fun and more enjoyable when you find something rarer

I have posted a few of my titles and numerals on my albums if interested

regards