British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-07, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Default Kiwi RSA Badge

Here's one UK visitors may not have seen it's the lapel badge of the New Zealand Returned Services Assocation picked this up when I lived in Kiwi land for a few years at the end of the 90's

The badges are made in silver and are indvidually numbered with a separate dated crown added to denote the year of joining the assocoiation. There is a larger earlier badge as well but the info I have on them is misplaced at the moment. (will add a bit more if I find it.)

Old 04-10-07, 08:56 AM

Default NZ RSA badge

Hi

Your NZ RSA badge is the smaller size badge issued from 1927 to 1942 when the name changed to Returned ServicesAssociation (taking into account the airforce no doubt).

The maker is Mayer and Kean (name changed in 1964 to Mayer and Toye) who probably took over the contract in the early 1930s. Badge cost 2 shillings and sixpence to members.
The owner of your badge was:

60194 Pte Herbert Wastell Pearce , photographer, Takapuna, Auckland New Zealand.

The year clasp was intorduced in 1941 and done away with in 1997. 1969 will likely be the year that Wastell died. The style of engraving is well-known to me and they can also be found stamped, pantographed, engraved and scratched!
If you want material on the large RSA badge (1916-1927) please ask.
Old 04-10-07, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Hi Millsbomb, well you have made my day. - trying to think where I got this from it was possibly a 'general household' type auction place not too far from Onehunga, but we did go trawl the local garage sales as well....it will come back to me eventually.

anyway is that his civilan job (photograper) or military.? I guess I could get his service papers from the NZ archives and find out his service/medals etc?

one more question is that his army number or RSA number??

many thanks
Old 05-10-07, 04:45 AM

Default NZ RSA badge

Hi there

Just to confirm that that is his civilian occupation and that that is his army number which was also his RSA number.

We are one of the few countries not to use an association number but to use your service number.

This has allowed me to collect quite a few of these badges that can then be identified to a person.
My main area is the large badge and I have been told that I could bore for New Zealand on this topic......

All the best and please ask me if you want any NZ-related help!
Old 05-10-07, 04:55 AM

Default RSA badge,medals,etc

Hi

Sorry I forgot to tell you that you can get the file from NZ Defence HQ but they will pass this on to National Archives who will get back to you?????

Don't be discouraged as they will reply in around 3 weeks. They can also look up the "non-war grave" index and tell you where he is buried.

He has probably just got the Mutt and Jeff pairing as I've just checked to see if he had a decoration (answer:no).

Cheers!
Old 22-12-08, 10:04 AM

Surname PEARCE
Given Name Herbert Wastell
Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3
Regimental Number 60194
Rank Private
Next of Kin Title Mrs M
Next of Kin Surname PEARCE
Next of Kin Relationship Wife
Next of Kin Address Bracken Avenue Takapuna Auckland
Roll 72