British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-05-11, 01:10 PM

Default Tin Helmet M.O.T.H

I have this lapel button badge in the shape of a helmet. It might be hard to see but the initials M.O.T.H are across the front. I'm wondering what this is and what the initials stand for. Thanks Jim A
Old 23-05-11, 01:18 PM
Peter J

Jim,

M.O.T.H. stands for 'Memorable Order of Tin Hats'. It is a military veterans' organisation founded (I believe) some time in the 1920s.

Regards,

Peter.
Old 23-05-11, 01:53 PM

That was fast... thanks for the info and your reply.... Jim
Old 23-05-11, 01:55 PM
Peter J

No problem, Jim.

I am sure there will be plenty of info about them on the internet.

Cheers,

PJ
Old 23-05-11, 02:09 PM

Default M.O.T.H.

A South African order. Memorable Order of the Tin Hat.
Originially for men who had seen service in the trenches in WW1, then extended to those who saw service in later wars, and as a result of the Bush War of the 1970's was extended to men and women who had earned the Rhodesia General Service Medal.

Last edited by johnG; 23-05-11 at 02:25 PM.
Old 23-05-11, 02:12 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
A south African order. Memorable Order of the tin Hat.
Originially for men who had seen service in the trenches in WW1, then extended to later wars, and as a result of the Bush War of the 1970's was extended to men and women who had earned the Rhodesia General Service Medal.
That's interesting, John. Are they still in existence?

Peter.
Old 23-05-11, 02:23 PM

Hi PJ,
They were still in existence in that country when I left zimbabwe in 2004, and I assume still are, and I know for a fact they have branches here in UK, and probably in other countires.

The size and shape of the tin hat lapel badge is the same, but varies accorcing to standing in the Order, from a plain brown hat for the rank and file to - if I remember rightly, a gold plated one for 'Old Bill', the OC of a M.O.T.H. Shellhole, as branches were called. There was also lettering on the badge some of the grades.

'Old Bill' of course from Bruce Bairnsfather fame.

Regards,

john

Last edited by johnG; 23-05-11 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added to posting
Old 23-05-11, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
That's interesting, John. Are they still in existence?

Peter.
Still going:

http://www.moth.org.za/moth4.htm

There are even branches in the UK.

I believe that the MOTHs really took off in South Africa because there was no British Legion/RSL type of organisation.
Old 23-05-11, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Still going:

http://www.moth.org.za/moth4.htm

I believe that the MOTHs really took off in South Africa because there was no British Legion/RSL type of organisation.
Yes, that makes sense, as they do a very similar job, and having looked at a lapel badge I have in my possession I see it bears the letters M.O.T.H.

Regards,
JohnG

Last edited by johnG; 23-05-11 at 02:47 PM. Reason: post added to
Old 30-05-11, 06:31 AM

Yes, I can also confirm they are still going in SA. There is a branch in Florida on the West Rand, (west of Jo'burg,) that I know of and it has a Bofurs gun outside.
Annually in SA they still have the "MOTH" fete which is huge.

regards,

Iain
Old 27-08-11, 12:24 PM

Default MOTH UK

Hi Jim,

As a member of the MOTH here in the UK (General Browning Shellhole in Hackney) I Just thought I would expand on previous posts a little.
The Memorable Order Of Tin Hats is by it's Constitution a 'Brotherhood' and as has been correctly stated was formed in South Africa in 1927 by C.A. Evenden (Moth 0)
The organisation was founded on three basic ideals
1) T.C. True Comradeship - The application of front line friendship to civilian life
2) M.H. Mutual Help - A personal & collective obligation to help each other, as in front line service.
3) S.M. Sound Memory - To remember the fallen as a living companionship, to serve them as they served us, in practical actions which arise above divisions of social status rank, or political creed.

With the emblem of the order (attached) being the tin hat surmounted by a lighted candle, surrounded by twelve stars, and flanked by reversed rifles.
The badge is the tin hat worn on the left lapel above all other badges by members of good standing.
Only ex-service are eligible to join the organisation, and even with this there are exemptions made. You need to either have served during WW2, or any of the other conflicts since then either in the regular forces or reserves, either as a combatant or in support (Merchant Navy/Royal Fleet Auxiliary/BAOC etc), or completed three years regular service in any of the services minimum. Membership is also open to former members of the resistance, and former members of Allied forces. Former members of the Axis forces are strictly forbidden membership!

The organisation is run on military lines with MOTH headquarters located at Warriors Gate Durban S.A. With Provincial & Command Dugouts, shellholes, and other such bodies controlled and authorised by GHQ.
The English Dugout (General Browning Club in Hackney) is now referred to as Command Headquarters United Kingdom with full autonomy over all MOTH UK matters.
While individual Shellholes operate with the following officers in Place

Old Bill - Shellhole Commander
Vice Old Bill
Adjutant
Paymaster
Quartermaster
Paybill
Sergeant Major
Private (Sentry)

While executive officers in the order hold similar positions. Senior Old Bill/Regimental Sergeant Major etc.

Every five years since 1927 the MOTH in SA have celebrated the formation of the organisation with a jamboree where all Moths from all around the world gather together. Next April is the 85th anniversary and I will be travelling to SA for the event.
The organisation is adapting and recently membership was opened up to all members of the emergency services in the UK.
Hopefully this will be of some assistance if not interest to you.

Regards

Johnm9905

http://www.mothchq.co.uk/
Old 02-09-11, 05:44 AM

Moth Jacket 1.jpg

Moth Jacket 2.jpg

Moth Jacket 3.jpg

This is the M.O.T.H. regalia of "OLD BILL" Walters who was the Chairman of the 'SPRINGBOK REDOUBT" Shellhole which was the oldest or first shellhole in the then Orange Free State and is part of my collection of militaria and related items.

The Shellhole is still open and is active in the town of Bethlehem, Free State, South Africa.

I was the 'WEE BILL" in 1989.

Last edited by sabrigade; 02-09-11 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-09-11, 05:52 AM

Moth Group Walters 1.jpg

Moth Jacket 5.jpg

Moth Jacket 6.jpg

Walter's had extensive WW1 experience and served as a member of the 8th Infantry during the German South West African campaign and later with the South African Heavy Artillery on the Western Front in France.

His gold plated M.O.T.H. "Old Bill" lapel badge has been engraved with the words "For Services Rendered".
Old 02-09-11, 08:20 AM

I have found this thread and everybodies posts on it very interesting. thank you all for teaching me about something i had never before heard of, another organisation full of brave men.

Phil