British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-22, 06:47 PM

Default Royal Australian Artillery cap badge "H ARENDSEN MELB"

Hello gentlemen,
i just purchased this badge for my small collection.
I browsed the forum several times before and found H. Arendsen in Melbourne as a known maker of these badges, but could not find a picture of the makers mark.
My badge is die struck from a gilding metal and has a "dark bronce" finish, polished away over the years on some edges.
I know, this design with "AUSTRALIA" and the KC was in use from 1913 until 1954.
But i dont know in which period these badges were made by Arendsen ? Is this the common known version ? I did not find the makers mark in the "MakersĀ“Mark" section.

Any comments and informations are very welcome,
thanks in advance and kind regards from Germany
Markus
Old 21-07-22, 10:25 PM

Hello Markus,

The 'gun' badge of the Royal Australian Artillery was worn from 1930 until 1942 when it was completely replaced by the Australian general service badge, the 'rising sun'. Some units then wore it after 1948 until 1954 depending on what stocks were still held in stores.

The first manufacturer of these badges was Stokes and Sons of Melbourne and differed slightly from this. The first examples of this particular design by Henry Arendsen of Melbourne were manufactured from about May 1939.

Your badge of black painted brass is dated from December 1939 onwards until 1942 and represents the earliest attempts to subdue the badges. Later examples were of oxidised copper.

Keith
Old 22-07-22, 04:31 AM

Thank you Keith for the detailed informations !
I have only literature about british badges and found good sites concerning New Zealand badges (James Stevenson) and Canada (Chris Brooker), but my only informations about the Autralian "gun badge" come from the site of the Australian Artillery Association. Is there a good source about australian badges on the web ?
If this version was only produced 2-3 years by Arendsen i am very happy that i could catch it for some Euros, there should not be very much on the market. Now i like to find out the proceeding badges, may be i can add one to my collection.

Thanks again and kind regards
Markus
Old 22-07-22, 11:57 PM

I don't know about a site for Australian badges on the web, there have been a number of books on the subject in the past.

The problem with Australian artillery badges is that the first published author on the subject got it wrong and every author since has simply followed the same line.

Keith