British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-11, 07:20 AM
Peter J

Default KRRC - large & small honours

Perhaps one for the KRRC buffs this… a small observation which might be of interest.

I specifically bought badge ‘B’ the other day purely because it appeared to have characteristics I had not noticed before on a KRRC badge (its slider is missing, but that is of no particular consequence here).

KRRC a.jpgKRRC b.jpg

Badge ‘A’ is the regular type (KK 2011), whereas badge ‘B’ (also KK 2011) is slightly different in that the same battle honours set out on the arms of its cross are considerably smaller than those on badge ‘A’.

North.jpg East.jpg South.jpg West.jpg

The reason for this could of course be attributable to the old ‘maker’s variation’ chestnut, but perhaps it could be something else.

Perhaps badge ‘B’ is an earlier pattern on which the battle honours proved to be too difficult to read or to manufacture to a high standard, and was therefore dropped in favour of badge ‘A’.

Or perhaps the reverse is true: the battle honours on badge ‘A’ were thought to be too large and squashed-looking, so the smaller, better-spaced honours of badge ‘B’ were chosen in preference.

One last observation, which may be of no consquence: badge 'A' has no apostrophe in 'KING'S' within the centre circle, whereas badge 'B' has.

Centre Badge 'A'.jpg Centre Badge 'B'.jpg

None of the above theories may be correct of course but, if for no other reason, I thought it might be of interest to see both types together for reference.

Any other theories welcomed, gents.

(Apologies for the dodgy photography).

Regards,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 27-04-11 at 03:48 PM. Reason: KK ref correction
Old 27-04-11, 09:03 PM

IMO, I do think it's down to makers variations when it comes down to details like missing apostrophes, etc. However there are other mysteries such as these two. Are they Militia, are they collars (supposedly not worn) or FSC's but one thing is clear and that's the name change from King's Royal Rifles to KRRC.

Just to confuse things further the only other Kings Royal Rifle(s) without Corps in the title I have are those to the 1st Cadet Battalion both in KC & QVC but I also have a QVC nickel cord boss badge with it!
Old 27-04-11, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
IMO, I do think it's down to makers variations when it comes down to details like missing apostrophes, etc. However there are other mysteries such as these two. Are they Militia, are they collars (supposedly not worn) or FSC's but one thing is clear and that's the name change from King's Royal Rifles to KRRC.

Just to confuse things further the only other Kings Royal Rifle(s) without Corps in the title I have are those to the 1st Cadet Battalion both in KC & QVC but I also have a QVC nickel cord boss badge with it!
I think they are FSC badges Keith. As you say collars were not worn by KRR, but when FSCs were introduced almost all regiments used them as the badge (although most LI and Fusilier Regts used bugles and grenades from STs), until larger badges were designed.
Old 28-04-11, 06:42 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Perhaps one for the KRRC buffs this… a small observation which might be of interest.

I specifically bought badge ‘B’ the other day purely because it appeared to have characteristics I had not noticed before on a KRRC badge (its slider is missing, but that is of no particular consequence here).

Attachment 39896Attachment 39897

Badge ‘A’ is the regular type (KK 2011), whereas badge ‘B’ (also KK 2011) is slightly different in that the same battle honours set out on the arms of its cross are considerably smaller than those on badge ‘A’.

Attachment 39898 Attachment 39899 Attachment 39900 Attachment 39901

The reason for this could of course be attributable to the old ‘maker’s variation’ chestnut, but perhaps it could be something else.

Perhaps badge ‘B’ is an earlier pattern on which the battle honours proved to be too difficult to read or to manufacture to a high standard, and was therefore dropped in favour of badge ‘A’.

Or perhaps the reverse is true: the battle honours on badge ‘A’ were thought to be too large and squashed-looking, so the smaller, better-spaced honours of badge ‘B’ were chosen in preference.

One last observation, which may be of no consquence: badge 'A' has no apostrophe in 'KING'S' within the centre circle, whereas badge 'B' has.

Attachment 39902 Attachment 39903

None of the above theories may be correct of course but, if for no other reason, I thought it might be of interest to see both types together for reference.

Any other theories welcomed, gents.

(Apologies for the dodgy photography).

Regards,

Peter.
Peter,
I too feel that it is nothing more than a Makers Variation! Here is a "LAMBOURNE" example with very small lettering. Sorry about the images, the sunlight is a nightmare (not complaining though!!).

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1243.jpg (68.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1241.jpg (62.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1198.jpg (86.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 28-04-11, 07:44 AM

Peter the maker of badge A imo should have moved the battle honours Martinique Talavera up a bit higher on the arm of the cross as it looks odd, or is this the norm

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 28-04-11 at 08:04 AM.
Old 28-04-11, 04:23 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I think they are FSC badges Keith. As you say collars were not worn by KRR, but when FSCs were introduced almost all regiments used them as the badge (although most LI and Fusilier Regts used bugles and grenades from STs), until larger badges were designed.
Keith,

I would agree with Toby here. My limited knowledge of Victorian era militaria doesn't really hold me in good enough stead to offer you a feasible alternative. It is well known that collars were not worn, and so I see no cause to dispute this reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Peter,
I too feel that it is nothing more than a Makers Variation! Here is a "LAMBOURNE" example with very small lettering. Sorry about the images, the sunlight is a nightmare (not complaining though!!).

Andy
Andy,

Maker's variation is certainly the most likely theory, isn't it. It is not unreasonable to conclude these differences are nothing more than this, and if I am honest, I too believe it to be the case here.

I wanted to propose other possibilities for these variations as I think it's very easy to dismiss such anomalies in this way, and I sometimes feel we are all a bit guilty of this at times, albeit to a greater or lesser degree.

In this case though I actually completely agree... unless someone can prove me wrong, which would be great.

Thanks for the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Peter the maker of badge A imo should have moved the battle honours Martinique Talavera up a bit higher on the arm of the cross as it looks odd, or is this the norm

Malc
Malc,

All the examples I have (or have ever seen) of this badge display these honours in the same way. This wavy line is one of the main ways I identify this post-1905 pattern at a glance. I'd love to know if there are other examples which show them differently, but I have certainly never seen any.

Thank you gentlemen for you contributions here; some really interesting points raised, and I am especially interested by Keith's comments regarding the addition of the word 'Corps'. As Marc (54Bty) said recently:

'Stop it!That is something else I have to check for now.'

Cheers,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 26-02-13 at 12:35 PM.
Old 28-04-11, 06:39 PM

Hi Peter, don't know if this help's but I dug up the three I have at the moment (one actually the same as your's, no slider). I see what you mean. There are variations I think in all three.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3895.jpg (57.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3896.jpg (55.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3897.jpg (54.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 28-04-11, 06:58 PM
Peter J

Thanks Si,

Interesting pictures; No.3 seems to be a bit of a hybrid bewtween No.1 and No.2 in that is appears to have aspects of both (another one to look out for now!)

Also interesting that the broken slider badge is the exact same pattern as my broken slider example. Mine is broken completely away from the main body of the badge, with nothing of the slider remaining whatsoever. It must have been a weak join... is yours the same?

Appreciate your help.

All the best,

Peter.
Old 28-04-11, 07:05 PM

yes, I meant to add that in my original post. Completely no sign of original slider.

Simon.
Old 28-04-11, 07:20 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
yes, I meant to add that in my original post. Completely no sign of original slider.

Simon.
Seems like a dodgy run then. Given Andy's Lambourne example above, I wonder if this was the maker of our two examples and the small font pattern in general? I'd be interested to see other makers of this small font version.

Thanks again, Simon.

PJ

Last edited by Peter J; 28-04-11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 28-04-11, 07:32 PM

Thought i would show my 1st CB Kings Royal Rifles badges

Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0515.jpg (50.6 KB, 51 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 26-06-11, 05:07 PM

Here are my badges peter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0917.jpg (55.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0920.jpg (55.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0921.jpg (55.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 26-06-11, 05:14 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy4294 View Post
Here are my badges peter.
Thanks for this, Billy.

Does the pattern with the smaller lettering have lugs or is the slider missing?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 26-06-11, 05:29 PM

Just sent you a message on that peter
Old 26-02-13, 12:45 PM
Peter J

A new addition which came to me very recently:

KRR CB 1.jpgKRR CB 2.jpgKRR CB 3.jpg

Dimensions: H = 35mm x W = 25mm approx.

Kindly given by a friend who acquired it specifically for me via a current member of the 1st CB KRR.

Thought it might be of interest

Regards to all,

Peter.

Tags
honours, honours size, krrc