British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-08-14, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default PPCLI Centennial

On August 4th, the Globe and Mail ran a feature article on the centennial of the PPCLI. Princess Pats: First in the field.
The PPCLI cap badge used in the article appears to be one of the repro's that are on the market.
Old 06-08-14, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
On August 4th, the Globe and Mail ran a feature article on the centennial of the PPCLI. Princess Pats: First in the field.
The PPCLI cap badge used in the article appears to be one of the repro's that are on the market.
"Princess Pats"?

You'd think after 100 years, the media would know the nickname of the regiment, at least.

And talk about shades of Gwyneth Paltrow:

Quote:
Dave “Tiger” Williams (who is himself battle-hardened from an NHL-record 4,421 penalty minutes)
Reminds me of this:

Green Beret sets Gwyneth straight

Always liked players like Dave Williams but I am sure even Tiger doesn't compare what he did, to what the Patricias went through in the trenches.

Good for the Globe and Mail for running the piece - I hope as we start the grind of 100th Anniversary commemorations, that all the communities - and national press - remember there are hundreds of regiments and units to remember (and not just the combat arms).
Old 16-08-14, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dorosh View Post
"Princess Pats"?

You'd think after 100 years, the media would know the nickname of the regiment, at least.
Well, at one time they were affectionately known as the Princess Pats. Currently, the accepted regimental nickname is Patricias but I don't think using the old nickname is offensive, especially when used in the context of the First or Second World War.
Old 20-08-14, 04:40 PM

I agree with Steve on this. We've been called a lot of things over the last 100 years! Pat's Pets, Princess Pats, The Pats, Patricia's, and a few other choice names. It is all taken in stride.

I've seen several articles by various news agencies and although they are covering the events, as they are still ongoing, they all seem to have a tendency to make errors. Such as...although we display our 3 Victoria Crosses in the Regimental Museum, most sources only cite 2 of them, those being for Sgt's Spall and Mullin. Lt. Hugh McKenzie also won the VC, albeit when he was seconded with the 7th Bde. M.G. Coy., who were accompanying the PPCLI in their attack on Meetcheel Ridge, Passchendaele. He was still a Patricia.

James