British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-07-09, 12:46 AM

Default 1st Royal Scots button? Can anyone id?

I have a gilt coat button with "1st Royal Scots" on a belt around a thistle on a lined field. It has an American backmark: Scovill Mf'g Co / Waterbury. Can anyone ID?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Royal Scots.jpg (25.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 21-08-09, 12:14 AM

Just a note to anyone who might be interested, I believe we have identified this button. I was put in contact with Chris Brooker, who has written books on Canadian badges. He emailed me and told me this button, which I thought was Scottish, is in fact Canadian. He told me the button was for the 5th Battalion "Royal Scots Fusileers", and dates from 1880 - 1884.

He shared with me an extremely interesting history on the unit, so I thought I'd post it here for anyone who might be interested. I hope Mr. Brooker doesn't mind.

David

--------------------

Your button is most interesting and the second example I have seen the other being made in Chicago. They are very well made with a mercury fire gilt finish and unusual for Canadian regiments being made in the USA and not the more usual Great Britain where most uniforms and equipment was made. (Canadian makers started making uniforms in the 1890s.) I surmise your button was produced circa 1880-1884.

Between 1875 and 1876 the name of the regiment was 5th Battalion "Fusilieers" this being changed to the 5th Battalion "Royal Fusiliers" under General Order 1 of January 14th 1876. At this time the regiment was expanded from two the six companies the two flank companies being Highland Companies. In 1880 the regiment archived its goal of being designated as a Highland Battalion the word 'Scots' being added to the regimental title under G.O. 4 of February 27th 1880 this becoming the 5th Battalion "Royal Scots Fusileers". In 1885 the designation was again altered this time to the 5th Battalion "Royal Scots of Canada", retaining this title until 1900.

During the Fenian Troubles of 1866 and 1870 many militia units were raised in Canada to support the reduced British Garrison much of which had been withdrawn during the Crimean War of 1854. One of these was the Grand Trunk Railway Brigade which ran between Montreal and Chicago this with four rifle companies, an artillery battery and an engineer company. This was disbanded in the 1870s and presumably some of the ex-members joining the 5th Battalion, hence the connection with US manufacturers.
Old 21-08-09, 06:02 PM

Default 1RS Button

Thanks David, very interesting.
Cheers,
Alex