British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-18, 12:07 PM

Default 9th Army Mountain and Ski School, Cedars Mount

A recent purchase: insignia of the Mountain and Ski School run by the British 9th Army on Cedars Mount, Lebanon. I am wondering whether this is a School sign (worn on the arm?) or a skill-at-trade, instructor badge, possibly worn on the forearm? Any hints?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9_th_Army_Mountain_Ski_School_1.jpg (85.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 9_th_Army_Mountain_Ski_School_2.jpg (83.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 30-04-18, 08:35 PM

so no info about it being a skill-at-arms sign or a school insignia?
Old 02-05-18, 04:15 PM

In the absence of any other comments I though I'd add a few line.

I'm interested to know why this is attributed to the 9th Army Ski School in the Middle East. Given that KD was almost ubiquitous in that part of the world it seems unlikely that this is a trade badge worn there where sleeves would have been rolled up most of the time.

The following is from my forthcoming cloth badge book

With an ideal climate for the task a Winter Warfare School was established near Iceland’s main herring fishery at Akureyri. In February 1942 GOC Iceland Force asked War Office permission for the school’s staff to wear an arm badge, specimens of which ‘will be forwarded as soon as available’, a statement suggesting that the badges had already been manufactured. Although refused - War Office policy dictated that schools could not wear badges - an appropriate badge was produced. Although the War Office refused a distinguishing badge for qualified skiers in the same month, the coincidence of dates suggests that the badge shown (which is the one you show) may have been introduced by the school regardless.

A footnote records that:
As several examples of this badge have been recorded it was clearly not a one off. It has also been suggested that it could be connected with the 9th Army ski school established later in the Middle East.

As you can see I have been unable to find positive information on the badge shown but I am more inclined to think it's a badge for qualified skiers rather than a School or Unit sign.

Happy as always to be proved wrong.

Jon
Old 02-05-18, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
In the absence of any other comments I though I'd add a few line.

I'm interested to know why this is attributed to the 9th Army Ski School in the Middle East. Given that KD was almost ubiquitous in that part of the world it seems unlikely that this is a trade badge worn there where sleeves would have been rolled up most of the time.

The following is from my forthcoming cloth badge book

With an ideal climate for the task a Winter Warfare School was established near Iceland’s main herring fishery at Akureyri. In February 1942 GOC Iceland Force asked War Office permission for the school’s staff to wear an arm badge, specimens of which ‘will be forwarded as soon as available’, a statement suggesting that the badges had already been manufactured. Although refused - War Office policy dictated that schools could not wear badges - an appropriate badge was produced. Although the War Office refused a distinguishing badge for qualified skiers in the same month, the coincidence of dates suggests that the badge shown (which is the one you show) may have been introduced by the school regardless.

A footnote records that:
As several examples of this badge have been recorded it was clearly not a one off. It has also been suggested that it could be connected with the 9th Army ski school established later in the Middle East.

As you can see I have been unable to find positive information on the badge shown but I am more inclined to think it's a badge for qualified skiers rather than a School or Unit sign.

Happy as always to be proved wrong.

Jon
It was the seller's statement, Jon, you're perfectly right: it could be of any Mountain and Ski Warfare School but I was - and I am glad to see that you confirming it - unaware that Schools had their distinctive insignia. On the other hand, in all the pics I have seen of the Cedars Mount Ski school personnell is wearing battle dress blouses and and the white or drab smocks, being not really keen, probably, to wear KDs at such temperatures! :-D
Old 15-05-18, 01:16 PM

As an interesting personal point. My father learnt to ski at this school while a serviceman on leave from his duties in Palestine (1945 - 48). He gave me the clear impression that he was on leave and had a great time. He was not there for a specific service reason.