British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-02-18, 03:32 PM

Default Natal Mounted Rifles

I'm new to this forum and seeking advice on insignia please. I am writing the biography of a young man who volunteered for the NMR in September 1914 aged 17 seeking service in GSWA, but for reasons of physical injury and/or age was not accepted for active service until December; he then served as 2nd Lt, SADC, until June 1915 whereupon he volunteered for flying training and was transferred from the SA Aviation Corps to the Royal Flying Corps. This pre-RFC part of his career is poorly recorded but I would at least like to pay due respect to his brief period of service in SA and it strikes me that an illustration of regimental insignia, or at least badge(s), would perhaps bring it to life. But it would have to be insignia accurately reflecting the period described, so I need expert guidance. As with all non-fiction books, the collection of images is at my personal cost so I suppose I also have to ask whether any members might be able to provide images of the relevant insignia without fees attached (but with due credit, of course). I have a NMR collar badge with spurred cavalry boot (toe pointing right) surmounting the motto and encircled with scroll saying 'Natal Mounted Rifles', and am hoping this might be accurate.
All help appreciated!
P.S. Would he qualify for 1914-15 Star?

Tags
nmr, sa aviation corps, sadc