British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-09, 04:46 PM

Default A few South African buttons

I am often impressed by the quality of military buttons and am surprised that there is not more interest in collecting them. After all, they are reasonably cheap ( sorry, cost effective !) and some of them are really attractive. Here are a few South African buttons , which might not be as gilt-covered as some British cavalry unit buttons, but they are attractive and historically interesting.
They are :
Top row: Diamond Fields Horse, Transvaal Scottish Volunteers, Roberts Horse
2nd row: Orange Free State & ZAR ( Transvaal) ( both Boer War) and SAHA ( WW1)
3rd row: Cape Police ( I think !) ,Natal, Cape Light Horse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sabuttons.JPG (28.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 25-06-09, 05:53 PM

Default Buttons

Very nice. Don't have a Robert'sHorse...
Old 25-06-09, 05:57 PM

I think that buttons make a very attractive display. I also feel that it is a very nice collecting field and because it is relatively inexpensive, it can be actively persued by collectors who may have cash restraints, even some of our younger collectors who are still at school. I think the Cape Police button is Cape Police District 3. The Roberts Horse is also a very unusual item. Thank you for sharing. Regards Andrew
Old 25-06-09, 06:16 PM

Nice pic. Natal, One question please. Can you tell me if the SAHA buttons are to be found with ears "up" as per the variant of the hat badge? Best regards, David J.
Old 26-06-09, 06:31 AM

I really dont know whether the buttons for the SAHA have the same ear variations as the badges - I somehow doubt it as I am not sure that there was any real reason, whether for tradition or anything else , as to the variation on the badges. The buttons to the SAHA dont turn up too often so I haven't seen any different examples. Not a very crisp, definative answer - maybe someone out there knows more about SAHA insignia issue ?
Old 26-06-09, 06:32 PM

The following comments :

The Natal button you refer too and show here is the button for the 2nd South African Infantry Battalion or Regiment which was formed for service in France during WW1. The unit was formed by volunteers from the provinces of Natal and the Orange Free State.

I have not seen variations to the SAHA buttons, I have a tunic to a Sargeant with them on the tunic but as correctly stated, these buttons are not common. The general rule was for the SAHA to use the much more common British or South African general service buttons. As to the SAHA cap badges, they were probably made by different manufacturers which resulted in variations being produced.

The CP3 button was to the 3rd district of the Cape Police as stated and they were based in Cape Town.
Old 09-09-23, 02:58 PM

Very nice buttons. Could anyone tell me what organisation the Orange Free State O.V.S.S., button represents please? First button, second row.

Thanks,

David.
Old 09-09-23, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonman View Post
Could anyone tell me what organisation the Orange Free State O.V.S.S., button represents please?
Found a better photo but description simply states :

Quote:
ORANGE FREE STATE WHITE METAL BUTTON, MADE BY J. COMPTON LONDON AND IN USE TILL 1900. OWEN 2068.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg OVSS.jpg (65.3 KB, 11 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 09-09-23, 07:20 PM

Thanks Mike. I presume the O.V. is Oranje Vrystaat but don't know what the S.S. stands for. Is it a military button or just generic for the Orange Free State.

David.
Old 10-09-23, 05:08 AM

OVSS = Oranje Vrij Staat Spoorwee

In English that translats to Orange Free State Railway and that is exactly what it is. The button worn by the OFS Railway in the 1890's

The OVSS and NZASM (Transvaal Railway) were taken over during the Boer war by the Imperial Military Railways and post Boer War they became the Central South African Railways, eventually becoming the South African Railways in 1910 (combimng the CSAR, NGR and CGR)
Old 10-09-23, 06:07 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post

In English that translats to Orange Free State Railway
Thanks !

Old 10-09-23, 09:25 AM

Thanks for showing. I don't have Owens' book and have never heard of the OVS railway button before. I would really like to see a scan of the equivalent Transvaal railway button if anyone has one. Have always liked Boer insignia but have not seen any on forum Albums.
Old 10-09-23, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
I would really like to see a scan of the equivalent Transvaal railway button if anyone has one.
Front and rear photos of NZASM (NEDERLANDSCHE ZUID-AFRIKAANSCHE SPOORWEG MAATSCHAPPIJ) button on this site :

https://www.bobshop.co.za/item/84899..._FOR_LAYI.html

Old 10-09-23, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post

In English that translats to Orange Free State Railway and that is exactly what it is. The button worn by the OFS Railway in the 1890's

The OVSS and NZASM (Transvaal Railway) were taken over during the Boer war by the Imperial Military Railways and post Boer War they became the Central South African Railways, eventually becoming the South African Railways in 1910 (combimng the CSAR, NGR and CGR)
Thanks very much Milmed, a great detailed answer.

David.
Old 11-09-23, 12:23 AM

Many thanks for the pictures from Bobshop, both Boer buttons are totally new to me. Is it possible to buy items from South Africa? Last time I tried, international postage was totally unsatisfactory.