British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-08, 08:46 AM

Default British WW1 Signs

Currently doing some research on WW1 Transport. A document extract that I have a copy of mentions, "Marks for all Army, Corps and Divisional Troops as shown in The Order of Battle" and the vintage is 1916. For "Marks" read Formation Signs in later years.

Does anyone out there have or has seen a copy of said British Army WW1 book/document?? Has anyone seen a web site with said content? Please advise.
Old 18-09-08, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM View Post
Currently doing some research on WW1 Transport. A document extract that I have a copy of mentions, "Marks for all Army, Corps and Divisional Troops as shown in The Order of Battle" and the vintage is 1916. For "Marks" read Formation Signs in later years.

Does anyone out there have or has seen a copy of said British Army WW1 book/document?? Has anyone seen a web site with said content? Please advise.
There is a set of cigarette cards (players or wills, not sure which) that has the full set of WW1 Div signs that was produced in the early 1930s.

Currently there is a thread in the 'Great War Forum' that is displaying some great colour images of many of the signs in the uniforms and equipment section.
Old 18-09-08, 11:25 PM

There is the Players 'Army, Corps and Divisional Signs 1914-1918' series of 150 cards (actually 2 separate sets of 50 and 100) that came out in the mid 1920s. I seem to remember seeing it (or some of it) reproduced on the internet or in print somewhere. There is also a much rarer set called something like the Victory Series, or some such, also depicting WW1 signs. Unfortunately I can't tell you much more about it because years ago I ordered the only set I'd ever seen from a dealer, only to have some f***** steal it from my letterbox!
Old 26-09-08, 01:34 AM

Default WW1 Brit. Div. Signs

To Toby & Lettman many thanks for taking the time to answer and provide some direction. Would be nice to get a look at said "ORBAT" but your suggestions will achieve the same result. As AIF transport Units were based on the Brit. War Establishment and very much intertwined with Brit operations in both the MEF and Europe some of said signage appeared on AIF vehicles hence my interest. Toby will check out GtWF for thread. Lettman I can certainly understand your angst re the stolen package.....some people have absolutely NO class at all however I think that the "receivers" of this world are probably worse as they provide the impetus for the thieves in the first place.....BSM
Old 26-09-08, 02:05 AM

Gents thanks again....enclosed link goes directly to the cig cards....BSM

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypld...d=113468&word=
Old 26-09-08, 02:32 AM

Ah, that's it! Also, BSM, you may like to have a look at a book called Equal to the Task, which is a history of the Aust Army Service Corps. I mean the later version of this (there was an earlier one in the 1960s). This has plates photos, some of which I think dealt with WW1 signs on AASC vehicles. I'm not writing this from home at the moment so don't have the book ready to hand to verify exactly what's in there.
Old 26-09-08, 10:08 AM

Thanks Lettman.....have a copy of both but there are lots missing in same from my perspective. Whilst the history of the AASC is a key ingredient there remains much to tell re the vehicles etc. from 1900 to 1945....leaving the political side out of same as this area has been well addressed by the odd Thesis etc!!!!
The other interesting bit is the new or should I say previously unpublished information that one has unearthed that turns out to also be news to our British cousins.....Regards....BSM
Old 26-09-08, 01:24 PM

Keep on digging, BSM -- discoveries by people such as yourself are the lifeblood of this hobby!