British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-13, 10:29 AM

Phil,

I known that someone has to pay for the use of Paypal but when I sell on E bay I don't think I can refuse to accept payments by PP so the percentage they knock off the amount I receive is in addition to the fees that E bay will eventually charge me.

On small purchase prices PP`s fee is perhaps negligible but as the purchase prices go up it soon becomes a not insubstantial sum and I don't think any interest is paid by PP for any money that stays in my Paypal account for any time.

Only me being an old git but I think Paypal and E bay are part of the same group and are doing very nicely.

Shows the advantages of offering items here on the Forum or on SMM before elsewhere.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-11-13, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Ebay owns paypal so they get the lot.

if you can get your sales up to £1500 a month the rate drops to 2.9% from 3.4%

BUT there is something VERY interesting going on in the world of global finance and payment systems.

Bitcoin.

This does appear to be gaining some considerable traction. Organisations Like Paypay must be VERY worried as it cuts out the middleman (them)

Since the FBI shut down the Silk Road website Bitcoin has had a massive boost - probably the opposite of what was expected.

For us peer to peer Bitcoiners buying badges off each other it is probably too volatile at the moment to use. But the future looks rosy to me.

But just think - when I pay you in bitcoin the payment goes directly to your wallet - no bank, paypal, or credit card company creaming off a percentage for nowt.

PS I can be paid in Bitcoin if anyone is into it yet!

Last edited by Mike; 05-11-13 at 04:27 PM. Reason: FBI FBI !
Old 05-11-13, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Disclaimer re the above: This does not constitute financial advice. The value of Bitcoin could plummet or soar!
Old 05-11-13, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Hi John,

I was responding to Peter's post about him not seeing why the seller, on ebay, has to pay the PayPal fees. I was trying to say that if it was not the seller then it would be the buyer, therefore on a personal level, it would cost me more if the buyers did have to cough up the fee.
Hi Phil,

I am with you now. I miss read it.

John
Old 05-11-13, 02:30 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I have stopped selling so many items through auctions not only because of the costs but also because of the time it takes ( from the items being consigned ) to actually get the net proceeds in your bank account.

I have also never really got my head around the purchaser paying for the privilege of being allowed to buy something, mind you I also don't see why the seller is the one to take the hit on Paypal costs either.

P.B.
Wallis & Wallis were pretty good with me when I sold a load of stuff through their auctions (late 80's/90's). They paid 50% in advance of their estimate on what I was selling - in their favour of course - but, it still meant that I recived about 1/3rd of the final selling price (total hammer was about 5500 in total, so I received about 2500 up front - all went to on a family home deposit) about 2 months before the actual sale. I assume that none of the auction houses do that now - even when they do get around to paying out. I would imagine that they probably lend it out on the overnight money markets.... I would, if I was doing business in the same way. Nice little earner. For some.
Old 05-11-13, 02:47 PM

I agree with you too Peter, it is barely worth listing on ebay now, especially given that they also take a chunk of the postage cost from the sellers now.
Old 05-11-13, 08:59 PM
Former Member

Peter,
Many thanks for the endorsement of Sell My Militaria, I set the site up to benefit those wishing to sell their items without having to give a pound of flesh in the process! I reiterate that it is completely free, unless you chose to highlight your item and would like to thank those of you who do list their items, I hope you have found the site easy to use? Unfortunately PayPal is probably the safest payment option at the moment, but the method of payment is entirely between the seller and buyer! Thanks also to those who have bought and continue to buy items off the site, I hope you have also found this an easy process! Please tell your friends and fellow collectors about the site, so far there has only been one rouge seller and thanks to the vigilance of patrons their items were quickly removed!

Andy
Old 05-11-13, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Disclaimer re the above: This does not constitute financial advice. The value of Bitcoin could plummet or soar!
Indeed!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24818975

Cheers,

Andy C