British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-21, 01:09 PM

Default Doing your research before spending your money

Just seen a UDF helmet flash going for a high price on a local auction site and wrongly attributed to the South African Mounted Rifles.

The SAMR had a flash of Black/Red/Yellow melton cloth arranged horizontally with Black on top.
The flash on auction is Orange/Dull Cherry/Chocolate, so we can see the possible confusion the seller made when listing the item.

SO, buyer beware, do your research before parting with your cash.

I believe the Orange/Dull Cherry/Chocolate flash is not what it is listed as.
I base this on the following:

1. According to UDF 1923 dress regulations:
- Citizen Force units (departmental Corps)
Top half flash (Province Colour) - Orange for Orange Free State
Bottom half flash - Chocolate
1 inch Horizontal stripe separating top and bottom halves - Dull Cherry (Medical Services)
- This would indicate the flash to be an Orange Free State Medical Corps

2. From what I have been able to find regarding SAMC in the Orange Free State
- On creation of SAMC in 1912/13 a 7th Mobile Field Ambulance was established in Bloemfontein, OFS. I believe this unit may have been dissolved post WWI
- In 1945 all WWII medical units reorganized into two Medical Battalions (No1 in Cape and No2 in Transvaal)
- In 1948 the 4th Field Ambulance was established in Bloemfontein, OFS out of No2 Medical Battalion, Transvaal (There is however some discrepancy to this date and the unit may have been established in 1935 and reestablished in 1948)
- In 1963 the 9th Field Ambulance was established in the Orange Free State
- In 1981 the 4th FA and 9th FA were incorporated into 4th Medical Battalion, Bloemfontein, OFS

So in my Opinion this may be a flash to the SAMC(CF) unit of 4 Fd Amb (if the Unit was established in 1935) or purely a fictional made up flash if 4 Fd Amb was established in 1948 (as helmet flashes were no longer in use)
In any event it is not a helmet flash to the South African Mounted Rifles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HelmetFlash.jpg (11.7 KB, 19 views)