British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-11, 10:54 PM

Do'nt forget that Dublin was the largest populated city in the country followed by Belfast. The north did not exist as is today, but what you say is true for Ulster.

The term 'volunteer' was used by the rebels in the 1916 rising, so it probably would not of been very pc of the day for any new force to use it.
There has been a long history of 'volunteer' units in Ireland, though, the Rifles Volunteer movement which was so strong in England, Scotland and Wales never found it's way over to us. We seemed to stay with the militia system.

Before the rising of 1916, we had the Irish National Volunteers which was very large about 148,000. They were organized into regiments, Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Kildare, etc, most remained within that organization throughout the war but about 30,000 joined the army, most to the 10th & 16th (Irish) Divisions and some to the 36th (Ulster) and others to the reserve battalions. Local units existed of this force throughout the country, but were not active and had no official recognition. A very confusing state of affaires and nearly all politicaly influenced!!

The Irish Rugby Union was absorbed into the 7th Bn. Royal Dublin Fus. the Loyal Dubs I believe went into the Inniskillen Fus. so I'm thinking that the others were likewise dealted with??

Really enjoying this thread, talking about a long forgoten force and learning.

Regards,

Dave
Old 05-11-11, 08:17 AM

Found this in Hansard, 30th May 1916

Lord Charnwood;-
On the other side, there were, of course, at first obvious difficulties and possible objections to the movement for the organisation of the Volunteers. Those difficulties and doubts have been solved. I think that all that could be said on this side was fully before the House when the Volunteer Bill, presented in November, was passed by your Lordships with the approval of the Government and with something like a chorus of assent from this House. What is more, the military authorities in this country who have been brought in practical contact with it have shown in many ways their keen appreciation of the Volunteer movement. Nothing can exceed the helpfulness towards the movement and the ready and quick understanding of the conditions of our work and our exact capacities which have, been shown by many General Officers in important Commands in this country. But I want to remind your Lordships of certain things which have happened since the debate in November to which I have referred. I can hardly refrain from saying a word of the gallant conduct of the Dublin battalion of the Irish Volunteer Training Corps—helped, I believe, by some men from other battalions—during the recent uprising in Ireland. Speaking as I do as a representative, of a great number of ordinary Volunteers in England, your Lordships will allow me to express the keen satisfaction and pleasure with which we noted, not the gallantry, which was a matter of course, but the promptitude and efficiency with which our comrades in Ireland acted on that occasion.
Old 05-11-11, 08:22 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWGB View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have just created a new album titled, naturally enough, VTC Mufti badges. These are the 74 mufti badges I own, out of the 125ish that I know about. I think there are probably as many again...

Best regards,
Tim
Tim,
Absolutely stunning collection. Well done and good luck with further finds.
All the best, David
Old 08-11-11, 06:36 PM

Tim

I have just joined the forum and I am a fellow collector of V.T.C insignia.

I would like to congratulate you on some fantastic photos of your collection
I have never seen some of the badges and I am really pleased to correspond
with a fellow collector of this little known field of military history

For myself I have been collecting for quite some time and have a good archive of
information to the V.T.Cs.