British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-16, 02:57 PM

Default RCAF WD Rank

From my modest little collection.

Old 16-01-16, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ed. Note the construction. They are separate chevrons sewn on a black backing material, not embroidered into the backing.
Old 16-01-16, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

In the image posted before the sergeant's chevrons, the WD wears the summer uniform. I can't tell if the sergeant's chevrons she wears are smaller than the regular issue.
Old 16-01-16, 03:44 PM

Default RCAF WD Rank Insignia

By looking the first image I posted with that of the RCAF WD wearing the KD shirt, the embroidered rank is smaller when compared to the shoulder albatross insignia.
Old 16-01-16, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Bruce, the ones in the image are not even close to the type in your image. They are the type with two pieces of chevrons, the chevron tape is the gray/blue material sewn separately to a black backing material. The ones I imaged are the SWW pattern which was phased out shortly after the war. The estate where these came from had the cut down eagle shoulder badges SAS1 noted, both the white/silver embroidered and red embroidered pattern.
I did a bit more digging, and I think I found answer. The WD RCAF were issued a light weight cotton garment for summer wear, and they had armlets for wear on the garment. These may be the rank used on that garment.
I only used that image to show the size of the new RAF rank. The post war rank are of the same construction as wartime, but smaller. They were used up to the 1970/80 when the UK forces modernized their uniforms. I will post images of the ones I have when I get a chance.
Old 16-01-16, 07:20 PM

Default Post-WWII RCAF Rank

Here is an example of a post-WWII Corporal's rank insignia.

Old 16-01-16, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bruce, Not sure what you are indicating. The rank badges are RCAF Women's Division, not RAF. The woman in question only served in Canada, not overseas. The insignia was Canadian issue, not RAF, and it was wartime. The badges, as I said appears to have been worn on the summer issue uniforms.
Old 16-01-16, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Posting at the same time as Ed. Note the construction of Ed's example above versus the construction of this one. It is made of two separate chevrons.
Two more images of the ones from the start of the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-16 14.24.06.jpg (47.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-16 14.24.32.jpg (43.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 16-01-16, 07:56 PM

Here are my examples of post war RAF/ATC rank. Exactly the same as the original images posted. Same construction as well. These were used well into the 1970s-early 80s.
Old 16-01-16, 08:28 PM
Banned

The small stripes directly above are not strictly ATC but RAF Apprentice. Cadets, both RAF and ATC generally wore RAF full sized. On occasion if a very small case they might have worn a small size but I've never seen it.

The stripes worn on the summer dress shown in the last photo on the previous page, are a totally different pattern.
Old 16-01-16, 08:49 PM

Default RCAF WD KD Rank

Yes, they are a 'different pattern'. I posted that image to show the smaller size of the KD rank insignia as opposed to the regular sized rank being worn on the SD.
Old 16-01-16, 08:57 PM

Slightly off topic but in line with the photos, did the RCAF WD wear both CANADA over eagles and eagles alone as seen in the photos? Did it depend on where they were serving -in or out of Canada?
Old 16-01-16, 09:03 PM

Default CANADA Badges

Canada badges over Eagle were worn overseas.
Old 16-01-16, 09:23 PM

Thanks. That was my assumption but wasn't sure.
Old 16-01-16, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Here is an image of the post war RCAF corporal and sergeants chevrons. These were adopted sometime in the 1950's. As always, there was a period of time that both old and new patterns were in wear. By the late 1950's most nco's had the post war pattern.
Bruce, ones that you have posted (the bottom pair) are the larger pattern from what I can see. (At least five inches, where the ones in my hands are 4 inches.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-16 17.10.11.jpg (42.7 KB, 2 views)