British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-16, 02:04 PM

Default 1er RFM

I did a double take when I saw these images in a French Army publication - obviously British officers with those berets and badge. But actually the CO of 1er RFM (1st Regiment Fusiliers Marines (?)) in the Alpes Maritimes on 15 Apr 45. Could a French member (or anyone with an interest in French insignia of that period please show me a good image of the beret badge. Many thanks. Mike
French_1 RFM.01.jpgFrench_1 RFM.02.jpg
Old 11-01-16, 03:15 PM

Hello Mike
Here's a way to find pictures of this badge

Go on the website: '1er Régiment de Fusiliers Marins'.
Attention, there are several models for this badge. The scroll must be writen "1er fusiliers marins Regt"

Bonne fin de journée.

Jean-Paul
Old 11-01-16, 03:15 PM

This might help....
Jo

http://www.1dfl.fr/decouvrez-ses-uni...iliers-marins/

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 11-01-16, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul Vermersch View Post
Hello Mike

Attention, there are several models for this badge. The scroll must be writen "1er fusiliers marins Regt"

Bonne fin de journée.

Jean-Paul
http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id...anguage,F.html

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 11-01-16, 03:25 PM

So....which one is the right one...?????
Jo

Old 11-01-16, 04:09 PM

Salut Jo,
I'm not an expert, but I think the two are good. I prefer that of Delcampe appears to be a first model.
On the small photo of Mike, we guess the other model the shape of the shield and the absence of rope.

Jean-Paul

PS:I really like your avatar, the "Maisonneuve" released my native land in September 1944
Old 11-01-16, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Salut Jo,
I'm not an expert, but I think the two are good. I prefer that of Delcampe appears to be a first model.
On the small photo of Mike, we guess the other model the shape of the shield and the absence of rope.

Jean-Paul

PS:I really like your avatar, the "Maisonneuve" released my native land in September 1944
Quel a été l'endroit ?
Jo

Old 11-01-16, 04:37 PM

Hello Jo

Sorry polluting the post Mike ......
but my parents and grandparents lived in the Dunkirk region, more precisely the small villages of Loon Plage and Craywick in French Flanders. The release took place early September 1944 4, 5 or 6 ...

Voilà. Très bonne soirée

PS: j'ai un calot d'artilleur canadien avec le badge du Maisonneuve à la couronne du roi....
Old 11-01-16, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Hello Mike

Bonne fin de journée.

Jean-Paul
That's a fascinating website - many thanks for guiding me to it. Mike
Old 11-01-16, 10:16 PM

Hello Mike,

1st RFM is a very early Free French unit ... fighting in North Africa and Italy before Liberation of France ...

As far as I remember, the first badge must have been produced in Alexandria in 1943 ...

A second production has been made in France in painted Aluminium by Augis - Lyon in 1944. (2 versions: breast badge and/or helmet badge)

A third production by Hermes - Paris in 1945 (?) with the thin "Hippocampes", but never seen on pictures, you always find this model in new condition. No evidence it has been worn.

Later productions in Indochina and various copies...

Best regards .. Herve
Old 12-01-16, 05:26 AM

Default Seahorses

Half12: Very many thanks - that is most informative and helpful. From a British perspective, they were a very interestingly dressed unit. The seahorse can be found in British units too - as the formation signs of 27th Armoured Brigade and North Caribbean Area and also by the Royal Marines Training Group. But the "made in Alexandria" French beret badge must be the rarest of all. Mike
Old 12-01-16, 08:51 AM

Hello Mike,

You are right, the first production is rare but not impossible to find. You can find it with or without a large "serial" number engraved on the back.

1st BFM (Bataillon de Fusiliers de marins) was an Anti Aicraft Artillery unit fully equipped with british uniforms and weapons but they kept their traditional naval headdress. Typical in Bir Hacheim...

When it became the 1st RFM (Regiment de Fusiliers Marins) as an Armoured reconnaissance unit with a mix of British and US equipments, the Seahorse was the link between navy and cavalry...
On the pictures, you can see a mix of headdresses : french navy and/or british black beret, mostly during the end of the french liberation campaign.

Best regards . Herve