British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-15, 01:05 PM

Default 2 FOREIGN AWARDS FOR ID PLEASE

Hi

Two items from the "?" box which I'm hoping someone can ID please.

The first one is a silver, gilt and enamel breast star - "Al Merito Militar" (= "For Military Merit"). I bought this about 35 years ago in the Los Angeles area. The seller thought it was Mexican which, given the location, seemed logical at the time. However, although I think Mexico has an Order or Medal Of Military Merit, I can't find details of any insignia which resembles mine. The other most likely suspect is Spain which has a long-established Order Of Military Merit (established 1864). Again, though, I can't find any insignia of this Order worn over the past 60 years or so which is anything like mine. I think the Order has been re-vamped several times so perhaps mine is from an earlier period? It could be from some other Spanish (or possibly Portugese) speaking country, Brazil maybe? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think the second one is actually a regimental badge rather than an award as such. The top arm of the cross has "A/10" (not visible on the photo), the two side arms "K" & "P" and the bottom arm has the date "14X1 1919". A major clue is that the screw cap has a Riga makers details. So, it's Latvian or at least was made in Latvia. I suppose it might possibly be from one of the other Baltic states. If it's Latvian I would guess it dates c. 1920's/1930's. Does anyone know exactly what it is?

Any help/info much appreciated.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0046.jpg (73.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0047.jpg (65.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by davidwyke; 14-05-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 14-05-15, 08:57 PM

Hello
I can't really help
but here, something similar:
http://www.ebay.es/itm/330836093177?...965&rmvSB=true
cordially
Didier
Old 15-05-15, 01:04 AM

Well done Didier! You have put me on the right track!

Because of the wording on the star I assumed it was an Order Of Military Merit but it's actually The Royal And Military Order Of Saint Ferdinand, which is Spain's highest military award. It's been awarded since 1811 so the insignia has changed quite a lot over the years. I've found a star very similar to mine, a Commander's breast star, possibly c.1890's.

Thanks again.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 15-05-15 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 07:13 PM
jamesmilitaria

I would suggest that it is a Latvian Army pocket badge. The Latvian armed forces were first formed after the new state was created after World War I. At the end of the Latvian War of Independence (1918-1920), the Latvian Army consisted of 69,232 men

The date may well refer to an action during the war for Independence.

James
Old 04-06-15, 10:17 PM

Default Latvian Badge

Thanks for the info James, much appreciated.

David